Thirty

THE distance between Odin's men and I began to close. My heart was ripping through my chest, my fingers curled tightly around Marius' hands, and I was almost certain that I would die from their bullets.

Suddenly, Marius tugged at my arm, causing me to swing ahead of him. I turned behind me and watched as he lunged towards a man and his rifle. A loud thud could be heard from the butt of the gun, as it made contact with the man's chest. Frantically, the two men fought on the ground. Their limbs colliding against the other's chest, face and sides. Behind them the other guardsmen began to close the distance. 

"Marius..." I muttered. 

It didn't take any longer for Marius to knock the man against the head. When he fell unconscious, Marius stood up in haste and we continued to run. The fire behind us began to grow more furious, the heat of the flames could be felt from the distance. 

Out of no where, bullets whipped through the night air. Each pellet stuck the ground around us. I turned my head behind me. The men moved faster than the smoke. 

"We can't out run them." I cried. 

Marius nodded in defeated agreement. 

To the side our performer's trailer approached. In an instant I led Marius towards the steel doors. For a moment silence filled us. But the time to rest was short lived. 

"Here." Marius called out, tossing Artin's backpack towards me. I caught it just before I rustled through the trailer in search of shoes for my bare feet. 

Luckily, a few of the first act ladies stashed clothing under their bunks. Suddenly, the loud foot steps could be heard from the door. My heart raced in fear, as I frantically reached for an old pair of laced boots. 

"Nalani!" Marius cried to me from the side of the doors. 

Once I strapped the boots on, I sprinted towards a small space between two bunks. In only took a matter of seconds before the men bursted through the doors. Marius was squeezed in between the wall and one of the doors, as I tried my hardest not to breathe. 

In an angered pace, the men aggressively ransacked the trailer. Lifting mattresses and kick belongings around as the pleased. 

My eyes caught Marius as he seeped through from behind the door. There was only one way out, and I was far from reach it. 

Marius gestured for me to come out. I did as asked, watching as Marius reached towards the nearest man. With a heavy shove he took the man and pinned him against the frame of a bunk. The others heard the commotion, and without thinking I rammed my body against a bunk frame. The surrounding bunks toppled against a few men, like falling dominos. 

As soon as they fell I ran towards the open door. Calling out to Marius, I watched as the man's head between his hands twisted in a jerk. The man's body fell limp. 

Marius reached me with a silent regret in his eyes. I squeezed his hand in reassurance before we sprinted out into the smoke. 

My eyes and lungs began to burn at the heavy smog from the flames. I tightened my grip around Marius'. Luckily, near the edges of the circus property the smoke thinned. There in the distance I spotted Artin and the elephants. He was struggling to lift the latch of the gate. 

"Artin!" Marius called out. 

He turned towards us, his face glowed in relief. The locked fences around where the bears stayed had been opened, and the area was empty. I sighed in alleviation knowing Dandra was out safely. 

"What happened?" I asked. 

Artin shrugged in sadness, pulling at the lock. The hinges had tightened from the rust and heat of the fire. Frantically, Marius tucked in between the spaces of the fence. I ran back towards the smoke in search of something heavy. Thankfully, a few of the trailers required blocks to hold them from rolling off certain areas. I desperately tried to lift an used old cement stepping stone from the pile being used against a trailer. 

"Artin!" I called as I ran with the stone. 

After a heavy thrust against the lock, the stone managed to detach the hinges from the fence. The elephants cried in angst as Marius herded them towards us. I waved at them calm but with hurry - fully aware that Odin's henchmen were close by. 

Unfortunately, the smoke and atmosphere of danger caused Gem to be frozen in fear. As Marius managed to get the others out of the fenced area and towards a clear path away from jeopardy, desperate cries from injured people echoed behind me. Gun shots filled the air, and haunting shouts called out for me. 

"Nightingale!" Samil called against the howls of fear. 

I turned to Artin who was desperately trying to direct Gem towards the open gate. "Artin..." I called out, just as Samil grasped my elbow. 

Behind him Odin and his men stood ready to take me. They lined up against the fire as a back drop. Their faces grim and arrogant. They stood with their shoulders straight in entitlement. 

"Stop playing games..." Samil spat at my face, his breath heavy with wickedness. 

Before I could reply, the ringleader pressed an object against my side. My eyes never left his face. Whether it was an attempt to threaten him, or to prevent myself from confirming that the object was a gun - I was uncertain of. 

"You're afraid aren't you?" I whispered in a shake. 

He pressed the object against my ribs. 

"You're best business deal is falling through, and our best act is fighting back." 

"You don't scare me." Samil cackled. 

I shrugged. "But you're scared that you don't scare me either."

I watched as he swallowed whatever pride he had left. "Don't think I won't hurt you." He grumbled. 

"Shooting me would be the most merciful thing you've done to me."

Samil laughed as he brought the gun towards my head. I closed my eyes as the barrel pressed against my forehead. Suddenly, my body was thrusted to the side. 

Another evil laugh escaped the ringleader. When I opened my eyes I cried in fear. 

I reached out in front of me in desperation to change the scene, but it was too late. 

Artin had grasped the barrel meant for my head, and pressed it against his. My friend glanced at me, his eyes gesturing for me to run.  With no hesitation Samil pulled the trigger.