Twenty - Four

THE few seconds that passed felt as if they were at a stand still. I watched as Samil's brows furrowed with disgust; the audience around him all looked on with entertainment filled eyes.

With all my might I snatched my arm away, desperately trying to avoid any more physical confrontation. Low murmurs could be heard in the crowd. It was enough to cause the ringleader to fake a grin. His black lips pressed in a tight smile, his eyes reflected anger.

"Did we all enjoy the Nightingale?!" He cried.

The audience roared in glee, giving Rene and I a window to escape Samil. We made quick footing into the mass of on lookers. It took us longer than expected, but soon we were able to find the edges of the crowd. Marius and Manuel stood close by.

"What happened?" Manuel gasped.

Marius remained silent, his eyes barely meeting mine.

"The usual," Rene laughed taking Manuel's hand. "Samil's upset."

Small chuckles escaped us as we retreated into the darkness, away from the crowd, and far from the scent of mendecium.

~*~

Further up the field, an orange mass flickered in the horizon. The heat could be felt as soon as I had stepped out of the tent. Marius must have had a bonfire going.

"Where do you manage to find things to make fire?" Manuel chuckled, nudging him in the arm.

Marius shrugged. "There's a lot of left over things in different cities that can be burned. Then all it really takes is two sticks or rocks...I suppose?"

Manuel rolled his eyes, gave Marius a pat on the back and ran off with Rene.

I stood back, watching as the majority of those who did not attend the after party , mingled by the fire. I couldn't remember the last time The White Top was able to sit together, with no fear.

I slowly reached for Marius' hand. He grasped my fingers gingerly.

"I'm afraid." I whispered.

He slowly turned towards me, his eyes remained on the ground - as if too afraid to show me his face.

"I've only ever known how Samil and the men he brings to me treat me. I assume you'd do the same. I'm afraid I will be right."

Marius' chest rose and fell with a heavy breath. Yet, he remained silent.

"Marius..."

He squeezed my hand, leading me closer to the fire but away from the people surrounding it. We stood, staring out into the golden arms of the flames. "When I saw you sitting with Rene inside that house. I assumed you were another one of Odin's new girls. I had mentally added your name to my list of things to keep an eye on.

"I spent a long time making sure that the people around me wouldn't be harmed. My childhood had been tainted with the gore and injustice of war, and my adulthood has been poisoned with the disgusting habits of human kind. So, I don't know if it was because of my mother- but I found myself trying to fix the world.

"Odin's place was the only thing around that would take me for work. I have no pride working for him - but I'm glad I did. Protecting Odin's workers, I suppose occupied my time as the days went by. Then, I found you sitting in a chair across from the front door."

After a long while, Marius finally turned to face me. His eyes meeting mine.

"I must be stupid enough to think that it was okay to simply live under someone's authority until I died. Because, when I watched you that first night - I realized how pathetic a life like that would have been."

I sighed in slight disappointment. "Yes, Samil tells me that a lot of men are intrigued by my voice."

Marius shook his head with frustration. "No. Nalani, it wasn't that. If anything, you might have reminded me what strength looked like. I know it sounds ridiculous. But, I think I really needed it. You gave me so much more with simply being who you are, than what you think you provide everyone with your act. When I first saw you I thought I needed to protect you, but after you sang - I realized, you didn't need me to save you. I needed you."

I nodded quietly. Carefully analyzing what he had said.

"I don't know how much weight my opinion holds - but, I want you to know you've always appeared much more than a nice voice, to me."

He squeezed my hand. I squeezed back.

~*~

The fire warmed my face as I sat snugly between Dandra and Rene. Watching everyone mingle, laugh, and find comfort within each other, was warming. It almost reminded me of my first night.

That was the first time I had felt like I was part of a family, since the war. It felt like I belonged.

Now, now it feels like I had turned into this odd man out. The lone kid in class who was both hated and loved by the teacher. The only student who received the worst of the attention.

"Hey," One of the unique acts turned to me. He smiled through is crooked lips. The hard uneven lumps framing his bright eyes. "You did amazing tonight."

I grinned in return.

Suddenly one of the band mates began to tune his guitar. The sound of slightly overused strings, echoed through the aged wood instrument. A soft melody ran through the air.

Mirna hummed in tune.

An old song. The cast members went silent.

Mirna softly sang. Words of a humbling story. Warm, delicate harmonies with the guitar rang from her soul.

One by one, we all joined.

Our voices lifted into the air and danced around the flames.