Twenty - Two

We passed through three more towns.

It took us two more weeks.

Each morning between towns and each evening after the shows, Marius was close by.

He tried to speak with me - enough to remain friendly without being overbearing. But enough to know he was trying to keep me in his day.

He greeted me most mornings, sometimes found me during rehearsal reals. Presented me with treats he found with Manuel during trading sessions with locals.

"They grow oats here, Rene and I made oat milk... I warmed a cup for you."

"Freeze dried strawberries - this is rare. I snuck it away for us."

"I found a nice hair brush."

If he wasn't bringing small gifts, he was watching Yana train me. For a while he remained distant, asking for permission prior to finding a far enough spot to view. Yet, lately he was offering assistance.

Dragging out the weights for the silks. Hoping to find a hoop for more tricks. Or providing warm towels from the fire when Yana requested - to help with the sores.

"Did I do something wrong?" He whispered to me one day as I passed him back stage.

My eyes remained glued to the nearest entrance way - afraid Samil would see. "No."

"Is it something I've said?"

I took a long sigh. "I don't think I should have gone with you that evening."

Marius took a step back. I could almost here his spirits fall. "I don't understand."

"I believe Samil would have wanted to discuss the arrangement first."

"Samil? Wait, no!"

Slowly I faced him. My eyes fell on a dim lit eyed man. "I hope I was to your satisfaction - but from now on if you need more you'll need to discuss this with Samil."

"Nalani..." he reached for my hand.

I cleared my throat, fearing he'd hear my voice shake. "I understand that I'm intriguing. I've been told I attract people without them knowing. I don't mean to make you lustful for me. Samil says it's the way I am, and that men are easily persuaded. It's not your fault."

He pressed his lips together in a hard line. "No that's not why I'm-"

"I should go. Thank you for working behind the scenes. Goodbye, Mr. Marius."

"Nalani!"

His cry fell into the background. It took all my strength to ignore the voice within me, telling me that I was wrong. That I should have stopped and listened to what he had to say.

The voice was wrong. No man had good intentions. Not even Marius.

~*~

"What's the matter with you?" Samil snarled as I stood motionless behind the curtains.

The crowd this evening was larger than usual, the tent roared with excitement, yet I was untouched by it all.

Samil's hand wrapped around my arm tightly, I could feel his cobra like fingers cut deep into me. "You better pull yourself together. This is the biggest night we've had in a while. I need the party offerings pouring in."

The only movement I made was a wince from his grasp.

"Stupid girl." He sighed as the crowd screamed in cheers waiting for the show to beginning.

Suddenly, I let a breath I hadn't realize I had been holding. Beside me Rene squeezed my hand. "Please, let me punch him."

She tried to watch for a laugh, or a smile. Neither came.

Not long after, Samil introduced the act before me and I know soon it would be my turn.

I watched the many stars fixated on the small slit between the curtains. The only barrier left between their desires and me. Then just before the curtains parted a soft set of boots echoed their steps behind me. A soft yet certain hand wrapped their fingers around mine on the rope. A soft kiss was laced on my shoulder.

"You're more than this life. You're more with or without me. But I am yours if you want."

I turned to find the man who spoke. But the shadow was long gone.

I sat on the swing for two more long seconds before my attention was sent towards the silks. Something in me stood me up. Something in me made me walk towards Yana.
Yana and Manuel stood up from their spots, as they noticed my movements. And without words spoken Yana ran and returned with the white leotard I had worn days before. They then assisted me into a dotted position. Hoisted by the delicate red fabric up in the air. My feet wrapped intricately for support.

Then the curtains opened.