Eighteen

WHEN the audience had finished applauding to the night's show,  I took a final bow and slipped behind the curtains - just passing Samil as he entered to close the show.

"Good job," Manuel whispered as he helped me out of the starlight. "I overheard Samil and the first act ladies. He's got a tempter tonight."

I nodded in thanks.

"Best to stay out of his trailer."

On the other side of the roping system, Rene waited with open arms. "No flips tonight?"

I shook my head. "No I should probably keep a low profile from now on."

She rolled her eyes. "Who cares..."

"Samil."

"Oh, boy he's probably to caught up in my two left feet."

"Oh...you were the one he was upset with? Rene, are you okay?"

"Manuel must have told you," She took a step forward. "It's no big deal! Nothing we couldn't handle, if it takes his attention away from you for the moment, it's totally worth messing up on the show."

"Hey.."

She waved a hand at me. "Moving on! Let's go meet Lacey and Dandra out there. I've convinced them to stick around for the party."

Out in the crowd, the men and women surrounded the ringleader. I tried my hardest to avoid eye contact – praying that he wouldn't summon me in that ring.

Sadly, Invidia called out to me. "Nightingale, get down here." Her voice was saturated with artificial kindness.

I nodded at Rene, ushering her to go find our friends.

"The men here wanted to let you know how wonderful you were tonight." The elephant rider spat through her teeth.

"Good evening," I smiled at the men around us.

Samil wrapped his arms around me, almost in a territorial manner. "Darling," He stated pressing his lips on the top of my head. Invidia rolled her eyes. "You were splendid!"

I avoided eye contact. "Thank you."

"Nightingale, do you ever do private parties?" One man leaned in to whisper.

Samil tugged my arm, pulling me away from the guest. "Business such as that are discussed through me, sir." He stated with a firm grin.

The man nodded stiffly. "Perhaps we can discuss that later than?"

"Perhaps."

Invidia cleared her throat. "Samil, did you notice how steady I was on the hand stand tonight?"

The men twisted their heads sharply at her.

"Yes," Samil muttered. "Good job."

An exasperated sigh escaped Invidia as the men began to talk amongst themselves. I took the opportunity to slip away.

Manuel then quickly passed me, a drink in hand winking my way. "Samil, sir. For you."

Eventually, I reached Lacey and Dandra as they twirled around each other by Rene, who was in her dancing state. "You found us!"

"I did!" I laughed.

For a few moments I was able to be a part of the crowd, a member of the party and not a spectacular for them to watch. The moment, however, was short lived.

"Song bird!" Samil called out into the crowd – his words slightly slurred.

"Samil," I muttered.