Twenty - Six

THE whole night was hazed with Mendacium fog and the ringleaders sweat. We must have started to drive in the morning. Or perhaps, the mattress just began to shake as I struggled to remain awake? 

Sun may have seeped in through the cracks of the doors...or was it candle light Samil lit for himself?

Loud noises echoed from outside, the performers and crew began to set up at the new town. Or, a sand storm hit and simply caused a symphony of noises against the steel trailer. 

"Nightingale," Samil called out from the distance. I turned my heavy head to the side. "You must slip into your dress soon. Odin is our special guest tonight - dress your best."

Odin? 

So we had travelled. How long had it been since last night?

"Hurry now, you need to look appetizing. You need to be enticing. Act welcoming... Do you understand?" His hand slid up my thigh. 

I nodded.

"Good girl."  

Slowly I lifted from the mattress, my naked body sore and weak. "My legs..." I managed to whimper. 

Samil lifted my chin - my face inches from is. "Sniff... it will help."

A silhouette of a vial approached my nose. 

Don't sniff...

"Sniff, darling."

I did as told. 

~*~

Time must have past, for eventually I had found myself at the edge of Samil's steps. The cold nipped through my clothing...

"Oh," Manuel gasped, wrapping a coat around me. "...god. What happened?!"

I looked down at his coat, grateful for the warmth. Only to realize Samil had left me on the steps without clothing. I clutched at the collar. "I need to - I need to get ready."

Manuel cocked his eyebrow. "For the show?!"

I struggled to nod. 

"No, we need to find Rene. We need to get you out of here."

I reached for Manuel's hand. "I need the costume trailer. 

For a moment Manuel protested, only to give in and assist me down the dirt field. The other end of the circus site seemed miles away, my legs buckled with each step. Suddenly, a loud gasped escaped a shadow ahead of me. 

Mirna scurried down the steps, her hands cupping my face. I squinted through the Mendacium fog. "My girl...what did he do?!"

Mirna's lips pressed in fury. I shook my head. "Nothing, I'm okay."

Manuel shook his head. "She must have been given Mendacium. He's insisting her to get ready for the show."

I nodded. "Yes.. the show."

"No! No show. Manuel, help me get her inside."

With a  swift motion, my body was lifted off the ground. I floated through the air and soon was gently placed against another bed. I let out a sudden laugh. 

Where had it come from?

Manuel unhooked my arm from around his neck; his gentle grasp around my wrist. Another laugh escaped. "Oh..." I gazed at the man above me.

Mirna shook her head, her hands touching my face. I ignored the woman. 

"Hey," Manuel whispered. "Listen to Mirna. I'm going to find Rene...Don't leave."

I nodded submissively. "Yes, sir..."

He shook his head. "I'm being serious."

"Just go," Mirna whispered. "While we have time."

I let out a sigh as Manuel left. "Mirna, Samil won't be pleased that you let a man leave my presence dissatisfied." 

"What?" Mirna gasped. 

I dropped my gaze. 

"Hey, stop it. You're safe now."

Within moments Mirna had me cleaned,dressed, and tucked back into bed. My head throbbed in pain, my eyes heavy with numbness. 

"Don't leave okay? Let me find you food." Mirna whispered caressing my hair. 

I nodded.

When I heard the door close, I shuffled up on to my feet. I had to prepare for the show. Soon. Before Samil becomes upset again. 

With all my strength I could gather, I left the trailer. The sun was slowly falling, soon to be tucked behind the horizon - I didn't have long before the show. The ground under me dug deep against the soles of my feet. My body kept falling, unable to maintain upright. Shadows and silhouettes periodically approached me - I waved away their offer of assistance. I just needed to get ready. 

By the time I had reached the trailer of costumes, it had been empty. The others must have been in rehearsals by now. I swore under my breath - if I don't hurry, Samil would only get angrier. 

Quickly I shuffled through the racks, my hands clumsily knocking articles of clothing off their hangers. I sighed, my eyes welling up in frustrated tears. What was wrong with me?

Soon, I was able to find a shear beaded dress. A high slight against the leg, nude in colour and light in weight. Something Samil would be impressed with. With the grace of a young heavy elephant, I slipped into the dress. 

Suddenly, the doors opened. I turned towards the being that entered - Marius. 

I tucked my arms around myself - abruptly conscious of my bare body. The man gently reached towards me. His face laced with helpless pain. "Nalani..." He whimpered. 

My eyes gazed at the blurry face before me. Be enticing.  

"I'm sorry..." I whispered dropping my arms. 

Marius shook his head in confusion. I took a step closer. I soft step, a timid step - the gentle steps that Samil demanded from me. I closed the space between us, allowing my movements to let the unzipped dress fall from my body.