Thirty - Three

MIRNA'S blood coated my hands as I cradled her. Her eyes glassed over in shock, her consciousness echoing in and out of her mind. Tears hailed down, swirling in the crimson stained mud underneath her.

Her mouth gaped open and close, struggling to breathe. I clutched my hand around her's. Her hair growing damp in her blood, as it slowly dripped down her face.

"Mirna..." I whimpered.

She fought to find my face.

"It's okay. You're okay." I lied.

The gash on her head was wide, blood pulsated through. There was nothing I could do, but cry in horror.

The crowd around us stared on, some hid their children from sight.

I stared at their mothers. Their arms tucked behind them, clutching their apparent innocent children against their back. Hiding their eyes from the Nightingale. Hiding their eyes from seeing the death that she caused. The censor meant to block the shamed, and not the gore.

Mirna's body had grown limp against my arms.

"Do something!" I yelled at them.

Judgement bathed me.

Marius clutched my shoulder in a begging manner. The crowd was getting bored of the scene. Their anger rejuvenating.

"We have to go."

I stared a the man beside me. His eyes searched into mine. Fear consumed him.

"Please, before they hurt you."

I stared at the people around me. Their eyes digging into my soul. Evil surrounded them.

Slowly, I placed Mirna down and pushed myself off the ground.

"What is the matter with you people?" I muttered.

"Nalani..." Marius cautioned.

I tugged my elbow away from his grasp.

"How can you just stand there while someone dies?!"

A few eyes fell to the ground, but no one spoke a word.

"No one had to die."

"Yet, my wife did." An angry man yelled.

My eyes fell on the ash covered individual, his hands balled into fists.

"And it was your fault."

"Excuse me?" Marius snapped.

"He's right." A woman shouted her finger pointed at me, as if in an attempt to stab my soul.

"I didn't want anyone to die." I cried in defence.

"Yet, here you are alive, while our families were burned alive!"

The mob agreed in anger.

"I didn't mean to kill anyone. But you all seemed so content to watch people around you die!"

"She's a circus freak," A young boy spat at Mirna's body. "She barely deserved to live."

A few giggles escaped the crowd.

Suddenly, someone had called for Odin. My heart trembled; I reached for Marius. He tugged me close as Manuel and Rene found us and  followed suit.

Before we could take another breath, the crowd parted and Odin and the men who followed him had surrounded us.

"You put up a good chase," Odin chuckled, his hand resting against his stomach. "But I'm afraid the games are over."

Samil peered out from behind the fat man. His face paint melted, his cracked lips tight in a smirk. "Darling, come on. Enough running."

"The tent is gone Samil." Manuel yelled.

The ringleader shrugged as he took large steps closer towards us. "Yet, the Nightingale lives on."

"Marius," Odin coaxed.

I felt Marius stiffen. His shoulders broaden, his head lifted, and a soft growl escaped him.

"Marius, son...just let her go."

"What do you need her for? The circus is gone!" Rene yelled.

Samil let out an evil cackle. "Don't stress your pretty little head about it. Odin and I have come up with...a sort of arrangement."

"Just come with us." Odin stated impatiently. "Marius...just bring her here."

None of us moved, yet the crowd and Odin's armed men tightened their radius around us.

Rene gripped my hand. I held on to her desperately. I had no sight of what was going to happen to us. The sky was shaded with nothing but smoke and ash. The people around us were nothing more than audience members. No one was on our side.

In an instant, a man grasped Rene and lifted her off the ground. She elbowed his face as quickly as she could. Manuel reached out to help, yet his arms were pinned back my other members of the crowd. Just before I could react, I felt Marius' body leave my side. Someone had jabbed him in the side before a group of men drove him to the ground.

I stood in the middle, suddenly vulnerable to the ringleader. Samil stepped forward, his dirty fingers grazed my cheek. "Darling..."

I pulled away.

His face didn't reveal a reaction, yet his grip found my wrists. He tightened his fingers around me. I felt my palm grow numb. "Enough is enough." He sneered through his clenched teeth.

Marius trashed around behind the ringleader. I watched as he stood from the men's hold. Samil didn't move. For a moment I thought Marius could reach me. Yet, Odin approached him from behind, and pressed a barrel against his neck. The fat man whispered into his ear, and Marius stood still. His jaw stiffened.

Samil stared at me expectantly. I stared back. "Time to go Nightingale." He bluntly spoke.

"I rather die." I spat.

Marius' eyes widen. Rene cried out for me. The world went dark.