Sixteen

WE must have sat in a circle laughing for a long time. Artin grinned at the reaction of his voice.

"Okay, everyone..." Mirna sighed in between cackles. "Let's settle down. Go on back to what you were doing before."

I wiped tears from my eyes. "I didn't realize you actually spoke."

Artin shrugged, cleaning up my wounds. The small bowl between us was now tinged red. My smile flickered away.

Marius squeezed my hand. "The bowl makes it look worse than it is."

Artin nodded.

"Besides, if anyone asks - You won a marathon boxing match." Rene nudged.

"Thank you," I turned to everyone.

Smiles were given in return.

"Do you think you'd like to get some sleep now?" Marius asked as the others began to leave.

I shook my head. "I was thinking of going for a walk...I don't usually fall asleep anyways."

He nodded and slowly began to stand. Instinctively I reached for his hand. "Do you, maybe want to join me?"

The corner of his lips rose. "I would."

~*~

"I think you looked very happy..." Marius whispered as we grazed the side of the circus' parameters.

"I was - I think..."

"You think?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure how I felt. I knew Samil was behind me watching, he always watches. Yet, when I realized the stares of the crowd all looked the same, I thought maybe for just this night...it would change?

"Maybe, for one night they would look at me the way they would look at other acts. They'd stare because I was so good at singing, because my voice was unimaginable. Because it was impressive, because I was impressive. Not because Samil presented me as a lonely lost girl, or as his muse, or as a piece of ...dessert. But because I actually had something to offer. So I stood up. Then, Marius, their eyes..."

I jumped forward, my arms up in the air. The sky was clear - and I saw the stars.

"Marius, it was amazing! They applauded because I surprised them. They applauded..."

"They did." Marius confirmed grasping my hand.

"They did, didn't they?"

"I did. You impress me. I don't think I'd ever have the courage to be in front of people and perform."

"I do what I'm told to do..."

He shook his head. "You didn't tonight. I thought you were mesmerizing. Quite talented."

"What do I do now?" I whispered, my eyes locked on the fingers that held mine.

"I think you should do whatever you want." He whispered.

"Do you?"

A low chuckle escaped him. "I do. I've been doing it since I've been on my own. It's gotten me here so far."

I shrugged, pulling him forward for us to continue the walk. "See, I don't have the luxury of being an independent man."

"You might be right," He replied. "But what if you're wrong?"

We had reached the edges of the main tent top. The music from the party only hit our ears with a whisper, the night was still young for the attendees. Marius slowly gestured towards my hip. Gingerly I nodded, and we awkwardly stumbled in a box step.

I laughed as he hummed along to the faint music. His eyes were lighter than I had recalled. The lines on his forehead disappeared with each chuckle he gave, his lips were softly lined into a smile behind his slight scruff, and I couldn't help but feel warm against him.

"What're you smiling at?" Marius teased.

"You're two left feet."

"I'm trying to cheer you up."

I continued to chuckle, listening to the music and his voice. The smooth sound of the band, the sturdiness of his shoulders and the soft breeze that enveloped us. Time stood still for that dance. The world never ended. I was simply a part of the prosperous life that continued to exist. No war occurred, no famine sweepers the country, and no radiation seeped into our blood. No one died. No one's life would be cut short. No ring leader had control.

"I hope it's working." Marius leaned in.

I smirked teasingly.

He rolled his eyes. "Well I'm sorry we all can't be the naturally talented Nightingale."

"Nalani," I whispered.

He froze in our mid step. His eyes sparkled in disbelieve, his lower lip gaped a little open and he leaned closer. "Nalani?"

I shrugged.

"Nice to meet you."