Fourteen

MY thoughts raced with a storm of confusion. He has to be wrong. Maybe mistaken. He wasn't there the entire night to see.

"You're wrong..." I muttered.

Marius sighed. "I'm glad I'm not. Isn't it better news to know that the man never touched you?"

I shook my head. "I, I don't know."

"It is." Marius states reaching for my hand.

I stared at the fingers that held mine. The rough skin telling me stories of hardship they had faced. The gentle squeeze they gave me, letting me know someone was on my side.

"Come on, let's try these shoes on."

Marius assisted me down the trailer and back in towards the sink. There he had already set up a small tub on the ground, a slight steam came from the clean water. A small stool stood close by. He turned to me and gingerly smiled. 

"Mirna says that what you usually do is sit on a seat and have her pour water over you to wash. But I thought after you do that, maybe we can give your feet a break and try the shoes?" He kept his eyes low, almost too shy to make eye contact.

A sense of warmth filled me. "I think that you are a wonderful person and that this is the greatest gift you could ever give me." I held the shoes close to my chest.

He nodded before leaving to find Mirna.

When she entered the brightest grin was plastered on her face. "He's a kind one, isn't he? Even warmed up some water for you!"

I shrugged. Yet, the warmth of the water soothed me. It had been quite sometime that I had felt water that wasn't touched by the hands of ice. 

Mirna winked as she helped me prepare myself. "It's a shame he's been caught up in this circus."

I looked up from my wet hair, reaching for s palm of shampoo. "I can say the same about you."

"No. You can't. Because no one else out there needs a large lady like me for work. What can I do? I was an assistant to generals who were off the front lines. No one needs my organization skills anymore. Besides, Samil just needs me to attract the audience ... unlike..."

I nodded as I scrubbed my arms down "The Nightingale, I know."

"Listen..." Mirna whispered before she left me to dress. "When the chance comes by that allows you to leave. Please take it."

I bit my lip, unsure of how to respond. Mirna's eyes looked into me with a slight desperation. "Okay, Mirna...yes, I will."

"Good," She sighed. "I'll send him in then."

As she left, I tried my best to tie my hair up, in the attempt to avoid having water fall on my face. Suddenly, the make shift dividers parted. I jumped causing one of my last rubber bands to snap. 

I groaned in frustration. 

"Don't bother, it looks nice down." Marius stated as he stooped down to the tub. 

I watched him clear the water, filling it with a large pot he had brought in. "What is that?"

He non-chalantly shrugged his shoulders. "I had made a fire for the performers earlier, and warmed up another pot of water for you."

"Oh," I gasped. "That's not necessary."

"It's not a big deal." He smiled up at me. "May I?" His hand gestured towards the seat placed by the tub. 

I sat comfortably down, and placed my feet in the tub. A smiled trailed across my lips and a sigh escaped. 

Suddenly strong hands touched my feet. I looked down, Marius looked up at me for consent.