Eight

RENE stepped out of the trailer as I finished changing.

I adjusted my dark hair to the side and pinned it down with the remaining bobby pins I had left. These would be hard to come by from now on.

"Ready?" I asked Rene as I stepped out.

She nodded. "Ready."

We quickened our pace towards the back of the tent stage, being careful to not let the incoming crowd see us. I ushered Rene towards one of the side floors, an area behind some curtains and equipment where I would sometimes watch the others.

"Stay here okay?" I asked. "I just have to finish getting ready. Watch the first act, maybe you'll learn a few steps."

I left her hidden away, and smiled before heading back towards my small closet. The broken door opened with ease, the dusty smell became stronger as the months went by, and the random pieces of clothing and equipment began to build up. Yet, I still found some sort of refuge in the old overly used vanity.  I took a seat at the stool and as usual I began to get ready. Staring with a dollop of vegetable oil Samil found in one of his trades, on my legs and cheeks. Glitter that we collected from abandoned make up palettes from our travels had been slowly running low. I carefully dipped the smallest part of my pinky into the tub, and then on to my cheeks. I pressed my lips hard, hoping the pink tinge would stay long enough. Finally, I stared at the scratched mirror and tried to smile.

Suddenly, the door flew open. I stood up stiffly, tucked my face down and prepared to defend my tardiness. Yet, no angry yells escaped the individual who entered.

I glanced through the corner of my eyes.

Marius?

He had awkwardly shuffled to turn his body towards the wall, his hands up in defense. "I'm sorry," He whispered. "I thought this was a spare storage space."

My gaze travelled up the man in front of me. His heavy gear from earlier was gone. He stood in dark washed denim, a black shirt and ankle high black boots. Simple.

"It's okay," I softly spoke. "I'm dressed..."

He slowly turned revealing the shirt to be a deep v-neck, rope laced, his face clean, and his green eyes against his tan skin glowed brighter than before. "Oh, it doesn't seem like it?" He apologetically muttered.

I stood up. "I know. It's bad."

He shrugged. "It is. You look uncomfortable in it."

I let out a small laugh. It warmed my cheeks. "I am."

He smiled out of the corner of his mouth, and took a step closer. My hands crossed at my wrist over the lower part of my waist in reflex. Marius noticed. "I won't hurt you."

I closed my eyes in submission. Suddenly a soft touch made contacted to my cheeks. I took a sharp breath.

"The glitter is new." He gently stated.

He was gone by the time I opened my eyes again.

~*~

The music started, announcing the beginning of the show. Cheers erupted from the audience by the time I found my way back to Rene. She smiled my way, and shuffled to the side providing me some room.

Suddenly, on cue the opening act ladies stepped out onto the stage floor. The bleachers of people leaned forward to peak. A fast piano jig began and the ladies twirled in their short tulle skirts and high laced boots. The men whistled.

Rene's mouth dropped open when the a few of the performers reached to the sides of the curtains for a flaming whip. They danced, before letting the flames of the whip twirl into a figure eight pattern around them. They continued to play tricks with their whips while the other ladies simultaneously performed an intricate dance number behind them. When the piano ended with a full body chord the flames where put out with a large, sharp whip in the air. The number ended with the lights off.

People in the audience boomed with cheer, and Rene happily was a part of it.

A spot light came on. One of few we had left that was reserved for Samil and his Nightingale.

"How do you still get light?" Rene whispered.

I leaned forward. "Generators, ran by hand cranks."

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen!" Samil shouted. Cheers came back in reply. "We thank you for spending your night with us. We promise you, that this will be a party you will never forget! Now please thank our lovely opening girls, and keep the claps going to welcome our macho men!"

On cue, our men stepped forward. Dressed in a range of dark to light dress pants and different vests or long coats. They revealed long sharp knives in their hands. The audience squealed. Knives began to dance in the air as the men threw and juggled the knives between the five of them. Loud tense music echoed from the band.

Their number ended. Samil then welcomed the bear cubs. They were small enough to be let loose into the center of the circle. One of the cubs was Dandra in disguise. I winched every night the bears came out since the night we found them in one of the towns. They were captured in the middle of the most untouched forest left that I had ever heard of.

The animals cried in confusion, but somewhat settled as Dandra revealed herself from under the costume. The crowd laughed in amusement at the little woman, in awe of having been fooled. She soothed the cubs as she danced around them, they danced along.

Her number ended. And one by one Samil continued to introduce the other performers. Our flexible young teenager we found in the Canadian Coast from what used to be British Columbia. A large muscular weight lifter we ran into during our show at the remains of the Grand Canyon. Mirna from the reserves of her nation in Niagara County as the Large Wonder. A range of unique young acts, discovered due to their appearances from the war. The twins Samil met at the coast of the Tijuana flew as the swinging acrobats and Invidia as the elephant dancer.

I bid Rene a farewell as I made my way to the prepared swing back stage. One of the stage men smiled as he assisted me up on to the swing. I returned his smile.

"Good luck." He whispered.

The music slowed to a somber pace. As always the audience fell silent, Samil's voice grew soft as he introduced the song bird.

A spot light came on.

I stared once again at my legs crossed at the ankles. A gasp was heard in the crowd, motivated by the illusion of my dress. I took a deep breath as a new melody from the other show began. An old tune, a song I vaguely remembered from my mother - a memory blurred into imagination. The notes were delicate, the tune slow, my voice soft.

The sun'll come out, tomorrow

Bet your bottom dollar

That tomorrow there'll be sun

I stepped off the swing, my hands reaching forward towards the front row. Most nights I paid no attention to who sat there. Most nights it didn't matter. But those nights, he wasn't there.

Just thinkin' about tomorrow

Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow. 'Til there's none.

When I'm stuck with day, that's gray, and lonely,

I just stick out my chin and grin and Say,

Marius revealed a small smile in the corner of his lips. It sent a warmth through me. The feeling was so new and unusual. I smiled before turning away.

The sun'll come out, tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on, 'til tomorrow
Come what may

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

I love ya tomorrow
You're always a day away

When I looked back into the crowd, his face was lost in the ovation.