Chapter 1

Madison's P.O.V.

"Waitress! Refill please!"

"Comin' up, sir!" I held a plate of pancakes on one hand and the coffee pot on the other. As I went to the man with his mug up, I placed the plate on the table before him, and refilled his mug.

"Thanks, sugar." he winked at me.

"Enjoy your coffee, sir." I grinned, making my way back to the counter. The diner is packed today! More customers, more tips than--

"Madison!" the manager called. Ugh, here we go again with my manager. He never stops reprimanding us even when we do our jobs.

"Yes?" I rolled my eyes, faked a smile, and turned around to face him.

"Stop flirting with the customer and get back to work! I'm not paying you to flirt with my customers!" he shouted. No one notices his comment. It was too loud and everyone was busy doing their own stuff. Good thing about a packed diner, no one notices a flaw.

"Yes, boss." I just said and tried not to fight back. I went behind the counter and started cleaning with a wet rug. If it was allowed to yell at him instead of him yelling at me, I would've done it the first day I came into this place.

"Don't listen to the devil's son, Mads." my sister, Megan, stood beside me, also wiping the counter. "And shouldn't you be at school right now?"

"I was supposed to. But our electric bill, and mom's medicines are sky rocket. I want to help!"

Megan and I are working. I am in senior class, Megan didn't attend college just to work. Mom has cancer. I wanted to drop school, but they didn't allow me. Normally, I would go to work after school, but our debts are getting higher and higher, and we don't even have our own place to live in!

"I said I'll do overtime today." she insisted.

"By yourself? No way I am letting that happen." believe me, the last thing I want is another sick member of the family.

*Ding*

"Your order's up, sis." she starts changing the topic. This annoys me so much. I'm just trying not to get it a hold of me.

I pulled up the orders from the kitchen and started serving tables. Eggs and bacon and a stack of pancakes were served for those two students studying for an exam. They were college students and they come here every single day to eat. Such lucky people. They get to eat more than thrice a day. These two eat twice a day here every day except when there's a term break since they get to come home.

Ignoring the reaction of my stomach upon smelling the food I'm serving, I managed to get it to their table with their books opened and the pages filled with highlights. "Exams today?" I asked, serving their plates.

"Oh, don't get me started, Mads. Our professors are crazy!" Bridgette closed the huge book on law with a slam. She had natural curly blonde hair but today she wore it in a bun. She also has these huge glasses on. You might think she's a nerd...well she is but she wore it beautifully.