Chapter 18

Song for the entire chapter : "Way Down We Go" by Kaleo

Disclaimer: The following chapter may contain parts or scenes that can cause distress or discomfort to the reader. Please be reminded that this book, the characters, and the events are purely fictional. 

**

"What the hell are you doing here?" I rose from my seat.

"Madison." Will tried to stop me but I immediately had my right palm hit the man I went to.

"You have no right to be here!" I yelled as I saw him hold his cheek with my palm well-etched.

"Let me explain at least." He says.

"We don't need you here. We never did! Get out!"

"Madison, please." Megan called.

"No way, Megan. This man had no balls. He left us as if we knew what to do and left mom battle alone. Do you think that we could easily forgive you for all the things you've done for more than a decade of our lives?" I could feel someone holding me down, but I had to resist. This has been my breaking point.

"Madison--" he says but I cut him off.

"No! George, take him away!" I say, but he also doesn't move. What's wrong with everyone? Anyone that opposed threat can be taken away. Why aren't they doing anything?

"Madison." Will's firm voice suddenly flutters in the room.

I look over my shoulders and I see that he's the one holding me still. "I'm not done with you yet! Do you really think you have control over me?" I roared.

Will looks at me in the eyes without his sunglasses as we try not to pounce on each other for all the wrong reasons. He takes a step back after the other and I face the devil in human form once again.

"We don't need you anymore if that's what you're trying to show. It's too late for that now." If I didn't love my mother, I would have killed him right now.

"Madison, I did everything." What's the latest excuse?

"Did you just tell me that you actually did everything? Do tell me what everything is composed of." I wanted to laugh so hard. I wanted to, but there was no laughter coming out.

"After leaving, I found a stable job." he started, but then my laughter finally came out.

"That's really bullshit, you know? You're not worth the time, pops."

"Madison." Megan sternly calls my attention. "Let's give him a chance."

"Either he goes or I do." I replied and no one budges.

"I just want to see your mother for the last time." he says. I didn't know what came over me, but I stepped aside. "Thank you." he says and I watched him walk towards my mother as I ate my sobs.

The next day at the funeral, we were all complete still but disconnected with each other. I know mom didn't want this. I didn't either. But it was the way things got. And it looks like nothing we ever planned went in line after the past events.

----

I was lying in bed. Lights off, and the blinders concealed me from the light. It was strange. I knew I felt empty, but it felt fine.

My curiosity was disturbed when my phone rang, and I didn't bother to know who it was. "Hello?"

"Hi, Madison. Long time no see, how are you?" a high-pitched Margaret greeted me. At least someone's happy. I rolled my eyes and prepared to turn the call down when she stopped me. "I know we haven't been through a good start with everything, and you guys might want to make me a suspect of your baby's death, but you have to understand that I don't do drugs, I drink. Plus, I'm too dumb to even remember what meds to take."