Chapter 20

Song: "Ashes" by Claire Guerreso

"Every time I start to ignore you and act as if I don't care, there you go again showing up and messing up my mind." --- Xuan Ta

**

Love is not a feeling, it's a decision.

That's what I said to myself over and over again. I was right though. I decided to say yes to marry him. I decided to agree with his deal. I decided it was the right decision. Therefore, I decided to continue living life this way, and there's no turning back.

Love is a decision, and we need to accept everything that followed.

Love is a decision. I decided to take my exams in school in advance to get my diploma so that I won't go up the stage anymore. This meant my academic standing was void, and I decided it was okay because I don't want Will to have clues on where to find me. I am not ready to face him.

Love is a decision. I stayed with my father and never vacated another home. I was safe even if at times I know I should hate my own father, but it took me a while to realize how important he actually is.

Love is a decision. There was no other choice but to be strong.

It took a lot of courage and bottles of wine before I have finally convinced myself to do this once and for all, and right now, I'm in perpetual darkness.

"Good. You made it." I said in a very dead tone.

Busy people inside the restaurant didn't care on other people's businesses thankfully.

"Wouldn't miss it for anything else in the world." Will replied, hopeful this time.

I rolled my eyes in the irony that he is in now. "You should have been in this spirit some time ago. It's too late for that tone."

His strong, piercing eyes became sad. He looked as if he got time out from his mother when he was very young. Will sighed and I unfortunately heard the sincerity in it. "I know." he said in a low voice and rubs his nape, giving me the signal that he's nervous now. "I'm just very grateful to see you, Mads. I really am."

Nodding my head in reply, I take a quick but good look at him. He looked more sober, better, almost back on his feet once again. "I don't have much time, Will. Why won't you sign the paperworks I sent you?"

"Because I don't want a divorce, Madison." Will said cooly.

"I have all my valid reasons to divorce you, Will." I said sternly.

"But I love you." He butts in.

"No you don't."

"Yes, I do." He says in conviction, and right on cue, a waiter fills our glasses with wine, allowing me to cool down from his own reaction.

"If you love me, you would never ever cheat. If you love me, you never left my side. If you love me, we wouldn't be in this position right now."

"Look, Madison, I'm sorry. I don't know how many times should I apologize to you nor how will I properly apologize to you because I know I'm wrong. I want to make it right." He pleads.

"You do know I can also add in the case that you raped me right?"

"Shit." He curses and rubs his temples. "Madison--"

"Just sign the papers, Will. I really don't need anything from you. You can have the diner back, all my things, the house and everything. Yours. We don't need to do this anymore. I'm done." I crossed my arms and looked at him straight in the eyes. William Thompson is defeated and he knows it.