Part 1

The woman standing at the podium had his surname and wore his ring on her finger, but she was nothing like the woman he'd married. The last time he'd seen his wife was five years ago. What a difference five years made.

Beatrice Cardoso stood gracefully in front of the gathered group, a picture of elegance, poise and breeding. Her simple silk black dress was a few inches scant of knee length, and was worn over black leggings and with flat black pumps. Simple understated elegance. On her wrist was a slender simple silver watch. At her throat was a long strand of silver beads that were matched by the string beads at her ears. Her only other piece of jewellery was a wedding ring. No engagement ring. Then he remembered he hadn't given her an engagement ring. There hadn't been any need, or any occasion.

As David Cardoso stood at the back of the hall and listened to her. She graciously thanked the gathered throng for the award they had bestowed upon her. He wondered why it had taken him till today to notice the way in which she carried herself. The easy grace with which she moved and the simple sophistication of her outfit screamed class and poise. She looked elegant and sophisticated. So far removed from the young, nervous woman who had stood at a registry office, wearing a simple white silk shift dress, and said the words necessary to make them man and wife.

He could count the number of times they had met on the fingers of both hands and even then he wouldn't have had to use all his fingers. It was an arranged marriage that brought benefit to two families. Even if the adult parties who had agreed to the marriage organised on their behalf had barely had a chance to exchange platitudes let alone small talk. He found himself intrigued. It had never occurred to him that she would change. That she could change.

But the woman standing on that podium was definitely not the woman he married.

The girl he married was skinny, all arms and legs, and nervous energy. She wore her hair untamed, loose and long. It had been well past her shoulders. Long, lustrous, silky hair. That's what he remembered. Her hair. Parted in the middle and a veritable satin curtain of ink black depth. Unadorned. Rare in this day and age to see such simplicity. Her pared down appearance was from what he could see, the norm. The day she got married she wore little make up. Not that he'd noticed, as he'd barely paid her face any attention.

Her wedding dress was white with not a trace of embellishment. No lace. No beadwork. No detail. A simple sheath. It made her look like a candle. He remembered that errant thought when she had walked toward him and stood calmly alongside. She'd worn no veil. Had clutched no bouquet of flowers. Was just about smiling. The top of her head had reached his chin, and at the time he'd wondered whether she wore heels or was naturally tall. But it never occurred to him to check or to ask. Instead he'd glanced at her, afforded her a nod and turned to face the registrar. With a grandparent on either side as their witness, the wedding service began.

They were both children who had grown up in their grandfather's households. In his case, his grandfather was the sole person responsible for his upbringing, despite the fact that his parents lived. In Beatrice's case her grandparents took responsibility for her when her parents died when she was five years old. Ten years later, her grandmother had passed away. When Beatrice reached the ripe old age of twenty-one, her grandfather suggested an arranged marriage with the son of one of his friends. Beatrice loved her grandfather. She trusted his judgement. So she did not demure. He'd looked after her for well over sixteen years and she'd been happy in his care. So, if it made him happy, then of course she saw no reason to discard his suggestion. After all, it wasn't as if she was in love with anyone. She had developed pragmatic genes rather than romantic genes. In any case, she trusted her grandfather. Though she had prevaricated for weeks, nerves and anxiety getting the better of her, he had arranged for her to meet with David Cardoso and David's his grandfather. At that first meeting David and Beatrice agreed to marry. A business merger is what her grandfather proposed. One he thought would ensure that she was looked after when he died. Given his wise old shoulders she assumed he knew what he was doing and he would do his best for her. Given his age and ill-health, she hoped what she was agreeing to gave him some peace of mind. For during her childhood he had afforded her the same. But in any case, marriages were no longer permanent, not in this day and age, so if things didn't work out she would seek a divorce. That was the plan.