Part 100

"I told Robert about the party, told him that I thought my 'new' wife might come to the party." He had to laugh at her look of complete bafflement.

The waiter arrived at their table. David looked at Beatrice. "A refill?" He gestured at her drink. She nodded. David gave their orders to the waiter. The waiter left.

David looked at Beatrice, "Robert said that taking Hayley would be great for his wife and for my wife!"

She snorted. How very modern! She mumbled. All men are fools!

David continued, "Robert knew I wasn't living with you, my wife. He knew, that my relationship was odd," He shrugged, "and it was an arranged marriage."

Her eyes went wide. She asked in a very controlled voice, "And he thought that just because you weren't live your wife, you could go with his wife?" Her temper was rapidly escalating. "Wife swapping in your circles?" She nearly throttled him.

He put his fork down. He folded his arms, tilted his chin and said in equally frosty tones, "Wife swapping." Now it was his turn, his irritation and annoyance was rapidly escalating.

She tilted her chin, "Quite a novelty. For me." Her tone was brusque and direct. She did not back down.

He took a breath and kept his eyes trained on her. Instead in very clipped icy tones he carried on. "I see." He did not back down.

Seconds passed. David knew he had to take some responsibility for what had transpired just now, but he wasn't going to allow this.

"You think I would swap my wife?" His shoulders tensed instantly. He was angry. Really, really cross. Did she really think that he was a swinger?

"Yes." But she knew she was in trouble. She could see his annoyance. If she was hoping to bring his focus back to her questions she was going about it the wrong way. She just wanted to know why he took Hayley to that party and her stance and questions were rerouting their conversation, and it was making him cross.

He flicked her a look that suggested she was being deliberately stupid. He snapped quietly. "Really!"

She shrugged. That had his temper flaring.

She forced herself to relax her shoulders. This was rapidly becoming a disaster.

He challenged, "Then your interviews with my previous girlfriends were not of any use to you." She simply lifted her chin in defiance. With his eyes still on her, holding onto his control of his temper, he said. "You think I am a swinger." He was furious. "I can't believe that you think that."

"I have seen the photographs, in the newspaper remember? Even took your friend's wife to parties! Swapped your wife for lots of girlfriends." She grumbled under her breath and her eyes flashed in annoyance.

He blew out a breath and said as if he was simply talking to himself, "How could I have swapped my wife?" He demanded in irritation. "Exchange a woman? Who was not with me?" His exasperation finally showed in his voice, "Someone, who was not living in my town!" He muttered testily. "Someone, who was certainly, not in my life!" He huffed out a breath. "You think I am a swinger? Really." He sounded affronted.

Beatrice was close enough to see his temper and frustration in his eye, and was amazed by the fact that he managed to hold on to his temper.

She studied David carefully. Beatrice shrugged. Knowing that she had practically accused him of being a swinger did not sit comfortably.

"You really believe that? A bloody swinger?" He shook his head. He folded his arms. She blinked. It was remarkable how she had come to read him better. Now she could interpret his body language and the unspoken message in his eyes. "You are usually fair. Open-minded" He knew that. The way she had handled him. Before she met Hayley and Robert. But she was fair-minded. Normally reasonable, objective and honest. That is what he liked about her. Kind. Smart. Reasonable. Sensible. Occasionally stubborn. And beautiful. He mumbled and sounded subdued. "You think I am a swinger."

He was right. She was normally fair. She felt like a jerk for getting railroaded into this conversation. It irritated her. The fact that he could get past her demeanor so easily. And she was reading him better. But she was still playing catch up. It was hard to understand everything!