Part 28

Beatrice repeated. "I asked for personal information before I agreed to marry you."

She folded her arms and stood there toe to toe with him as she rolled her lips inwards. He was starting to realise she did that in an attempt to hold in her escalating temper. It was a tangible way for her to remind herself to keep in check. More quietly she said. "I did my research." His eyes went wide at the sincerity in her tone and the allegation in her words. "On you!" She stated, a brow rose in challenge.

"What?" The fact she'd not simply jumped at the offer to marry him, once again rankled. Ok, so five years ago he might not be quite the catch he was today. But he still had plenty to offer five years ago! The thought had him smiling on the inside as he recognised the arrogance in his silent statement.

Beatrice nearly snorted. The man clearly thought she was some naïve girl back then. By the looks of things he still thought she was a girl who was grateful that someone had offered to marry her. She was that naïve woman five years ago. But she wasn't stupid back then. She had made an informed decision, taking a risk. It was a measured risk.

She took responsibility for her decision.

It might not have panned out the way she had hoped. But it had left her stronger. It had not taken Beatrice long to realise that the only person who could truly look out for Beatrice, was Beatrice. Once that realisation hit home Beatrice had started to shoulder responsibility. It had been a struggle. She wouldn't deny that.

At times she'd questioned her wisdom. But despite the knocks along the way, and despite the fact that it had been a scary transition, Beatrice had taken responsibility for her, the development of own career when her marriage looked like it was over before it had even started.

When she realised her marriage was nothing but a statement on paper she made another pivotal decision. She would learn to manage on her own. It had taken her five years, but she had carved a path for herself as an independent woman. She now knew that she could hold her own.

As her husband of five years was finding out.

Beatrice was perfectly aware that the line she was taking was annoying the hell out of him. And she found that immensely satisfying!

"This marriage provided finance for you to regain and re-establish your family's company. What did you think this marriage provided for me?" She threw at him more than incensed by the fact he still continued to think he'd done her a favour.

What did the marriage provide for her? That was something he had wondered about at the time, and for many months after they had married. His conclusion was pretty close to the truth. "Your grandfather wanted to see you settled, safe, looked after."

Beatrice nodded, her eyes telling him exactly what she thought of him as she confirmed his assessment. "Exactly. Do you really think I'm going to marry a man and hope that he's going to keep me safe? Believe that he is going to look after me, without me checking to see what sort of track record he had in that department?" She asked in a deceptively quiet voice.

In contrast David barked in utter consternation, "Track record?" He rifled agitated fingers through his hair before he jammed them into his trouser pockets, "What the fuck do you mean by my track record in that department? You think I've been married before?"

Ok, so he had seriously miscalculated with this woman. When he'd met her five years ago, he'd assumed she was biddable, placid even, given she was agreeing to her grandfather's wish to marry a man she barely knew. He'd assumed she was a timid young woman, reliant on the old man to determine what was in her interests. And now, now he was learning that he simply did not know this woman.

She had, it would appear only married him after finding out more about him. Which was a hell of a lot more than he'd done. She was right. When it came to business he was thorough. He'd investigate and research until he was sure it was the right thing to do before he made his move.

But he'd married her without any checks. He relied on his grandfather's guidance. Taken what he had seen presented to him at face value and set it aside for the duration of their marriage. Big mistake.

His military training had ensured he was meticulous in all his business dealings. He had a reputation for taking thoroughness and detail to another level. So why the hell hadn't he applied it to this marriage? He was still reeling from the discovery of his own shortcomings when she lobbed another grenade in his direction.

"I spoke to three of your ex-girlfriends." Beatrice stated bluntly and hoped the statement would rattle him some more. He was obviously a man not used to surprises.