Part 99

David waited. He knew that Beatrice had lots of questions. But he also knew that Beatrice's character would stop her from asking those questions! He waited. Beatrice picked up her cutlery. David smiled. Stubborn woman! He picked up his cutlery.

She was about to eat, when David said, "Shall we talk about setting up the Trust?"

In her mind, she nearly screamed. No! That wasn't it. Not that subject, not right now. She had other questions. In particular she wanted to talk about the other couple. And in her mind she scowled: she had expected David to talk. She thought that David would try to explain his situation. She havered, peeked at him.

David lifted a fork, pretended not to see her questions in her eyes. If she wanted to know, she will have to ask. He ate. He took a sip of his drink. Waited.

Beatrice murmured beneath her breath. She rolled her eyes. Puckered her lips.

Really stubborn! He nearly smiled.

Beatrice grimaced. From the outset she tried to ignore his actions. She was tired of trying to pretend that what he said, what Hayley said, what Robert said, didn't matter. It didn't matter. Not of any importance. Makes no difference. No significance. She kept repeated that in her mind. Over and over.

But, it actually mattered. Really mattered.

Beatrice sighed and simply lifted her chin in defiance. She kept her tone flat even though her eyes sparked. Obviously he was obstinate. She huffed, "You all seem very good friends." She reached for her napkin, dabbed at her lips and avoided his eyes.

He took another sip of his drink. Just to cover his smile. He put the glass down and nodded. He lifted a fork. Took another bite.

Beatrice forced herself to relax her shoulders. Her shoulders had virtually reached her ears as she dealt with his reaction. Actually his non-reaction! Pigheaded, single-minded man! Enough was enough! Her eyes tracked straight to him.

"You took her to a party."

"Yes." He nodded.

She nearly growled. "I recognized her in a newspaper, with you." It was the first photo in a Sunday newspaper with David and a woman. This woman was with him, one week after she left Auckland. It was etched in her mind. She thought, after all this time, she would have forgotten about her. Same features. But she knew his woman because Hayley was with David within one week after she left Auckland. One week. It grated. She remembered. "You took her to a party."

He noticed the defiance in her eyes. He lifted a fork. Took another bite. "Yes."

That had her temper flaring. She did her best not to screech at him.

"Why her?" Beatrice asked and even though she had tried to keep the antagonism and disapproval out of her voice, it showed. Beatrice's pulse started racing despite the fact that he was playing with her, dripping information. That had her temper flaring.

David told her flatly. "I asked her." He shrugged. If he were any closer she would probably thump him! He saw her eyes spark. When he quirked a brow at her, he asked, "What?" He didn't wait for her answer. "Hayley wanted some diversion."

"A diversion?" She demanded incensed, as her frustration finally took its toll.

He ignored her glare. "Yes." He told her flatly. "In fact Robert, despite what Hayley just said, it was Robert's idea."

"Her husband?" She snorted.

"Robert asked if I would take her mind of her troubles." David informed her and knew that she wouldn't believe him.

"Troubles?" She snorted and rolled her eyes.

Again, he remembered that when she starts using one word, he knew he was in trouble. She will withdraw, pull back and stay behind her new resurrection wall.

He looked around, spotted the waiter and beckoned him over.