Part 112

Beatrice grumbled. He was stubborn. Tenacious. She knew that. That is what his previous girlfriends had said about him: Unwavering. Obstinate. Reliable.

Time for a new strategy. She looked around her, sucked in a breath of air and counted slowly to five. Beatrice said quietly, "You want a wife." Beatrice's smile froze on her lips. "And you want to have kids right?" A sad smile ghosted her lips.

"Yes." David nodded. She knew that gleam in his eyes. Probably thought she was capitulating. Until he saw the speculation in her eyes and watched the emotions that flooded her eyes. As the seconds passed, he got more and more anxious. David tried to keep his breathing regular, to avoid Beatrice noticing the increasing alarm in his body language.

She tipped her chin up another notch and glared for good measure, "Well, you need to know..." Beatrice's sentence petered out when she noticed that the waiter was about to reach their table.

David reached for his wallet. She reached for her bag. David waved at her to stop her. "I'll get this" His tone was calm.

"We should go Dutch." Beatrice stated flatly. She should be able to cope with this annoyingly attractive, man. He kept She rummaged in her bag. "We should share."

He possessed a quiet assurance. "I invited you to this dinner, remember?" He handed his card to the waiter.

The waiter waited. She came to a decision. Beatrice nodded. "Thanks." No point in dragging this on. The waiter inserted David's card into the card reader and handed it back to David.

"Thanks." David said. He keyed his pin-number and paid. Nodded at the waiter as he handed the card reader to the waiter.

"Everything ok?"

"Yes. Thanks." Both David and Beatrice said. The waiter smiled. Seeing that they had something to sort out, the waiter excused himself from this table.

David's eyes told her she had seriously underestimated him. "Sorry you were about to tell me, something." In any case she'd be back. When she calmed down, eventually. When she thought about this rationally, hopefully.

She knew that gleam. Really stubborn! And with a bit of luck these few seconds would give her a chance to regroup. Beatrice swallowed and prayed for the nerve to remain calm. "You said you wanted children." She made it sound like an accusation.

He nodded albeit half-heartedly, not sure about this conversation's course. She sounded far from pleased. David, said, "Yes, of course." He could see them: A large family. Four or five kids!

Beatrice told him bluntly, "In that case you really don't want me!" With that sad thought came instant heartbreak. But before she  begged him to like her, wanted her, she lowered her eyes. She needed to hold on to some form of dignity.

Her statement jolted him out of his reverie. David was floored.  His arms folded, his shoulders squared. "You don't want children?"

"Not so much that I don't want kids." Beatrice replied, feeling decidedly uncomfortable perched on the edge of her chair. She felt herself shake as she said the words. "I can't have children." She told him quietly, her voice was devoid of emotion. Her heart was in meltdown. Her tears held firmly in check.

David looked over at her, puzzlement clear in his eyes. He was having a silent debate about whether he should challenge her. But she continued, "Actually, that is not exactly the truth." His eyes rounded in consternation. What is going on? She pinched the bridge of her nose and then admitted, "I can have children." She paused. She deliberated for a second before she began her explanation, "Well, unlikely. In fact my doctor said it would be a miracle if I become pregnant." She corrected silkily. "You said you wanted a wife and children. With me, you'd have a wife, but I couldn't give you kids." She pointed out as if she was talking to someone unable to comprehend simple statements.

David was surprised. He wiped a hand down the front of his face.

"I'm going home." Beatrice knew it was the right thing for her. She said softly but firmly, "You are right." David smiled. She tipped her head to one side, "We had a great time tonight." His smile widened. "I really enjoyed your company tonight. But, I'm not the only person here with a decision to make, about our plans."

"Plans?" He looked tense.

Beatrice shook her head. "I think it is better if I went home." It was obvious they were not going to reach an understanding. He really had to think about his plans. And his plans might change, given this new information.

David's eyes remained trained on her, surprised to see that she was genuinely going to leave.

Beatrice mulled a bit. She folded her arms and prepared to defend herself. "I believe you need to have all the facts before you make any decisions. You didn't know that I couldn't have kids. And before you say I can have them, my chances are pretty limited." She hesitated before she said quietly, "This is a big decision for you. Staying married to a woman who can't give you kids. Is that what you wanted?" David watched the emotions that flooded her eyes. She found herself saying, "Your call." A downhearted smile ghosted her lips, as if she had conceded something that mattered.