Part 89

It was just before seven and she could make out the gold orb of the sun as it dipped into the water's edge. The hotel was at the harbor.

She went to the hotel foyer early, just in case he arrived early! She simply sat on a couch close to the window and looked out across the water. It gave her a chance to pull her self together. Beatrice still felt vulnerable. Her heart was racing, from fear and anticipation. She willed herself to calm down, let out the breath in one steady stream and turned to face the door when she noticed him. He had a hard kind of face, too angular to be textbook handsome but his lips wore a smile, a charming smile and that was enough for her. Her heart was pounding. This could not be happening again, her head reminded, don't fall for that charm!

David had obviously changed for this meeting. More casual. More handsome. She frowned. Handsome? Stop thinking of him her head told her heart. She smoothed a non-existent crease as she took a deep breath and got to her feet. But her heart jack knifed and her palms went from barely damp to an out and out sweat as he appeared at the door. She had to sort this. Get her emotions back under control. She had spent most of her time at the hotel, staying in her room, getting ready for this meeting and she had reviewed their previous meeting.

So by the time she went down for the meeting, everything was sorted. Not much to worry about. She filed that kiss away, and she hoped that she had lost the key. That kiss was exceptional. Just because she didn't expect it! That's all. Surprising. Curiosity. Unanticipated. The end. Nothing to worry about.

Just a shame that kiss was still in her mind, waiting for him in that foyer. Her heart was thumping. This was silly, she kept telling herself. Whatever happens tonight would be over. Their marriage would be gone. Well, nearly.

David stepped through the doorway and saw her. David sensed her inclination to run. So he quickly moved closer to her. His eyes quickly looked her over. "You are gorgeous." She blinked at him. David knew without a doubt that Beatrice would make an excuse and leave within the next few minutes if he didn't do something, and do it quickly. "Shall we?" David intended to make it up to her and will keep doing for their whole life! He was willing to wait for her to see him, to know him, and eventually to love him. He had more courage now. And he was willing to wait for her.

"Go?"

"Our meeting?" He reminded.

"Oh." It was then that she realized that they could haven't this meeting in the foyer. Knowing her luck, that stupid journalist, Angela Sutter was probably hiding behind the plant pot! Waiting for a scoop.

Beatrice assumed an air of calmness, but her heart was thundering so loudly. They would have to have their meeting in her hotel room or have dinner. She pinned a forced replica of a smile on her lips. Definitely not her room. "Fine."

"We can go to a nearby restaurant."

She frowned. Angela Sutter was probably stalking them, and would see them together at that restaurant. She mumbled. "Dinner. Here."

"Have you booked?" David nearly whooped. Dinner. He was expecting trouble.

"No." She muttered.

David remembered his initial impression, when he'd spoken to her before they married, and remembered that she was cautious. And shy. She used to reply to questions with just a word. Monosyllables. A few weeks ago, when he had approached her about their divorce, she used sentences! But tonight, she was back to monosyllables. That was not a good sign!

He gestured toward the hotel's restaurant. "Shall we?"

Beatrice turned automatically to look behind her. Did she have enough time to come up with an excuse, to avoid this meeting? "I haven't booked." She mumbled.

"It doesn't look busy." David said, looking around the room, "I doubt they will need a reservation." He focused on her.

"Fine." Hardly civility. They walked a few metres to the restaurant. David was right. Just a handful of others in the room and plenty of unoccupied tables. They were showed a table by the window. Settled. Waited for the waiter to leave, with their drink order.