Part 56

Beatrice was wrong on at least two counts today. She had not bumped into one of his girlfriends. And if she thought she was furious a second ago, she was about to learn that she had another level to go.

"I'm Angela Sutter." She beamed. Perfect luck. Angela had done a quick on line search when she'd noticed David Cardoso and a woman enter the restaurant earlier.

What was intriguing was that the woman did not match his standard date profile! Though, she hadn't seen him for over several weeks. Could be a work colleague, but the body language suggested otherwise. Which is why she had retrieved her phone and gone online to check a few details. Angela had come across an online photograph, taken at a funeral by the looks of things. But it showed David and Beatrice Cardoso. Angela had nearly whooped with joy. She knew she was onto a breaking story. Was the estranged couple reuniting? Things had certainly looked rather cosy over lunch. Heads close together as they talked. Couldn't be a divorce? Probably reuniting. Either way, she thought and Angela smiled happily. She was sure that she had a scoop. She'd seen David reach over and rest his palm on his wife's palm. Not the actions of an estranged couple. Let alone a couple in the midst of a divorce.

"Finally." Angela announced bluntly, her eyes watching Beatrice's reaction to the knowledge that Angela knew who she was. "Pleasure to meet you Mrs Cardoso." Angela said happily.

Beatrice's blood began to boil. She was starting to see red. "Unfortunately, I cannot say the same!" Beatrice said crisply not at all bothered about whether the woman took umbrage or not. David nearly grinned at Beatrice. There she was, his wife, perfect! He thought, as he watched Beatrice addressed Angela. Beatrice's voice swatted at the journalist without any physical contact actually! "Please excuse me." Beatrice looked at the woman and expected her to shifting from her path. Angela didn't move. "I was just leaving." Beatrice reminded her. "Please move." Her voice remained calm, but her eyes sparked at Angela.

"David." Angela said smoothly, as if she really was on first name terms with the man. He nodded at Angela and refused to rise to the challenge issued in the use of his first name, as if they were friends. Angela's eyes flicked from him to his wife and then back again to him. She was sure he was grinning behind that mask he now had firmly slot in place. "It is a pleasure to meet your wife." The word 'finally' was kept silent in her head. Angela watched him with open curiosity, wondering whether he, like his wife, would be annoyed to find out that Angela had identified Beatrice. Angela issued a statement as if it was a fact. "I guess you are back together." But it was a question couched as a statement. She was on a fishing expedition.

"No comment." David murmured. He could see the sparks in Beatrice's eyes. And beneath those sparks was alarm. He was get better at reading Beatrice's emotions. That was progress, he thought.

Angela saw the twinkle in his eyes and wondered whether he was consciously working this angle. She watched his wife. Obviously she wasn't pleased. Definitely they were a couple. Is that why no one has seen David on a date for over a few weeks? Perhaps his wife now had him on a leash! Great, a perfect story. Angela couldn't wait to write this piece. Gossip, she thought, as she thought about the magazine that would like her writing. The question is: should she be writing a divorce or a reuniting piece about this Cardoso couple?

David said firmly and politely, "Excuse us." He placed an arm along Beatrice's waist, his hand in the small of her back as he escorted her out. Protective. His palm on her back gave her a reassurance pat. He could feel her tremor. On her face, she looked like she was handling this situation, but her back suggested that she was not quite serene or unruffled.

Why had it taken so long for him to realise this? He cared enough to protect Beatrice from Angela Sutter. This sudden interruption, by Angela Sutter, a journalist, would be a shock to Beatrice. It was outside of her normal association: no link to journalists, or the media. It would be hard, to handle the media and the nuisance. It was then, that David realise that he cared about her more that he cared about anything.

David's palm urged her forward toward the door. He was right. She was not serene. But when they reached the door he felt her equanimity return.