Part 19

She was magnificent when riled.

Those eyes were molten with temper. How had he failed to see the passion in this woman? How had he missed the strength of character?

Beatrice couldn't hold his gaze. She turned away. She was angry and sad. And demoralised. She'd built up this cottage industry from scratch. Using the skills she had developed over the years she had taken a hobby and made it a business. She worked hard to make this a successful business. And now he was going to dismantle it, just because he could.

Quietly, his eyes showing open speculation, David demanded, "You'd sell? Just like that?" That didn't make sense. He was tempted to tell her she could afford bigger with the share she'd get from his estate in the divorce settlement.

Beatrice took a breath. She'd thought about her options when she'd read his solicitor's letter. She read the letter over and over again, for several days and nights. Sleepless nights. She knew that all that she had worked for and invested in her business would disappear if he went through with his threat. The same would happen if she contested his demands and took him on.

She wondered what her grandfather would make of this turn of events. He'd arranged for her marriage to see her secure and safe. The reality was having the opposite effect.

"Yes. I'd prefer not to. But neither am I going to be held to ransom." She looked over her shoulder at him. "My business is small. As I said it is a thriving business. You want a share of that, fine. What choice do I have?"

"You have choices." He reminded her.

"Your lawyers can draw up what they consider is in your interests."

She began to list her assets. David watched her.

She said calmly, "I own the house outright. You want a share of that, fine. Tell them to get an estimate for its worth and quote a figure. I have the car, not worth much, but if you want a share of that, fine. I don't have any other assets." Beatrice waved her hand at him, "Unless you count this ring. I can throw that in too. You know the cost of it given you bought it." She took a breath to stop herself from shouting at him. Calmly she said "Ask your solicitor to total it all, halve it or just tell me what you want from me as your share."

David took a moment to think through what she said, and reached a conclusion, "I see." He moved closer. He came and stood in front of her. She moved. His gaze narrowed in accusation as things began to fall into place. Things began to make sense. She was smarter than he had given her credit for. "You think by offering me half of everything you own, I will offer you half of everything I own." He nodded, gave her a measured look and added, "Very smart. Good tactics."

Beatrice nearly screamed at him. Her chest rose and fell as she fought for control. Then she looked him straight in the eyes. "I don't want a share of any of your assets." She corrected him with nothing more than a derisive flick of her eyebrow.

"Really?" He didn't believe that for one second.

"I don't want anything from you." She stated.

"You expect me to believe that?" His tone suggested he was having real difficulty believing she would surrender her entitlement to some of his wealth.

Beatrice could see from his reaction that he had expected her to seek a financial settlement. But the last thing she wanted was to have anything to do with him. She had built her business, albeit from money she should have shared with him, money from the sale of her grandfather's house, but she had built her business without his help or interference. If he wanted a share he felt he was entitled to from the sale of the house, then she would find a way to ensure he received that. However, she wanted nothing from him in return.

"It's neither here nor there whether you do or don't believe me." Beatrice replied without even a semblance of heat permeating her words. "I suggest you use a bit of logic." Her insinuation irritated him and his eyes told her he found her annoying. Not that she let the message in his eyes affect her statements. "So, Mr Cardoso, you might want to consider, when have I ever asked you for anything?" When he shrugged and scowled, she snorted, "So why would I want anything from you now?"