Part 27

David had misjudged his wife. And undervalued.

Beatrice folded her arms and watched his eyes widen in surprise when he heard her mention the recent acquisition. Her eyes remained heated even as her voice iced over. "I understand you have recently taken over Reeves and Schofield." Beatrice announced. Beatrice ignored the annoyance in his eyes and in the tone of his voice.

Clearly she hadn't been exaggerating when she'd told him earlier that she knew about his worth. She had indeed kept tabs on him. On his business at least, if she knew about the recent addition to his portfolio. Smart woman. "Yes. We have recently acquired Reeves and Schofield." He bobbed his head in acknowledgement. "I'm impressed."

Beatrice nearly thumped him. From the surprise in his voice, clearly he didn't think she could read and understand the financial sections of a newspaper. Her words remained cocooned in ice, belying the temper in her eyes as she stated, "I bet you can quote chapter and verse on their profit margin, their turnover, their projected..."

This woman was bright. Eloquent. Sharp. Feisty. She clearly had no intention of cutting him any slack. It wasn't often he came across anyone willing to stand their ground, in or out of the boardroom.

"What do you know about the Reeves and Schofield acquisition?" David regained his composure fast. She probably knew the name, probably read a headline or two. But as he was about to find out, once again, this woman had an easy knack for disconcerting him.

"I read the papers." She replied flatly with more than a hint of accusation in her voice.

"The financial section?" David sounded incredulous. It wasn't as if he thought women weren't capable of reading the financial section. Over half of his business board were female. His accountant was female. His lawyer was female. He just hadn't anticipated the mouse of a woman he had married to be one to be interested in the financial papers. He really was going to have to reassess.

Since when had his wife read the financial columns? But then what did he know about what his wife read? He'd underestimated her from the outset. He thought she didn't know about his business ventures. Yet, if she knew about his latest acquisition she clearly knew about his wealth. That didn't make sense. If she knew all that why was she stating she didn't want a share?

Her eyes cooled even further at the implied criticism and disbelief. "It beats reading the social section and seeing photographs of your recently acquired husband dating other women!" Her eyes cooled. His heated.

David refused to be castigated for dating other women. It wasn't as if this marriage was for real. In any case, the woman standing in front of him might be in a legal relationship with him but that did not mean she had any rights to him. She was the one who had left town! She had left Auckland. She had left him! So what right did she have to complain?

Beatrice ignored the spark of annoyance that billowed into flames of fury in his eyes. "As I said, you don't know me."

Her accusation had his eyes narrowing. "Clearly." He snapped. What did either of them know about the other? "What is your point?"

"My point is that you know details about that business. So in answer to your earlier question, yes I did expect you to know simple dates and basic details that related to your wife, who also happened to be a business acquisition." Beatrice yanked open the door and the action was more revealing then she had intended. For it showed her suppressed fury. "Albeit a business acquisition that pertains to your personal life."

David found himself trailing after her, which in itself was unusual. He was the one people followed, not the other way round. "You are blowing this out of all proportion." David stalked after her. He couldn't remember the last time he'd had to follow anyone. But if he wanted to maintain this conversation, to get it back on track he was going to have to follow her. His wife seemed oblivious to the fact that he was one of the country's leading businessmen and that he did not traipse after others.

Beatrice wanted to laugh. Blowing this out of proportion? She shook her head. "Really!"

"I married you because our grandparents thought it wise. I didn't ask for birthdates!" He all but thundered at her back. How had it come to this? How had she managed to unnerve him to the extent that he was beyond irritated and showing it?

Beatrice stopped and turned so suddenly he nearly cannoned into her. She made no attempt to hide her wrath. "That's something else you don't know about me." Beatrice snapped equally furious. "I married you Mr Cardoso because your grandfather and my grandfather thought it wise!" She told him. "But I asked for personal information before I agreed to marry you." Her statement had the desired effect.

"You what?" He bellowed.