Part 95

Beatrice nearly growled. She had take five years to reach a point in her life where she no longer felt sad about their marriage. And she had nearly obliterated him from her mind! But instead she uttered, "A real family." She said softly, "If you want that, you would need to open that box. Do you want your second marriage, your second wife to have no feelings for you? No emotions? No love? Will you love her? Will you love your kids?"

The fact that they had never discussed what would happen when they married. She didn't know if he wanted kids when they talked about their convenience marriage. Talk? When? She really smiled. She had talked to his previous girlfriends, but she had never asked him about his opinions. What he thought about family, religious, politics....

"I thought, when we agreed to this, five years ago, that at some point, we might get along. Understand each other." He shrugged, "Find away to make this work. Comprise. " He said, "We never had a chance. We barely knew each other."

Silence.

Eventually, David murmured. "Didn't you want any part of that? The other sides of a relationship?"

"The other sides to a marriage." She mumbled. Time to put a stop to her imagination. It was running riot when she thought about him let alone the other sides of any marriage.

"I guess you get what you needing by dating other guys?" He grumbled quietly.

That had her smile disappearing. "Don't tarnish my lifestyle with your brush." Beatrice told him quietly even though her beautiful dark eyes sparked at him.

"What? You're telling me you haven't dated guys in the last five years?" He was making a mess of this. Did that mean she hadn't dated? That she had taken that bit of paper and seriously held onto the fact she was legally married and therefore shouldn't date? He hadn't had such reservations. After all, it wasn't as if they had any feelings for each other. Nor any expectations. It was a business agreement. He had gone, openly, on dates with absolutely no misgivings. He'd never lied to any of the women he dated. They all knew he was married.

"I'm a married woman." She pointed out coolly. Why would she want to have another man in her life, given her husband didn't think she was worth it back then. Her eyes flashed at him. "I remember our marriage certificate! Not just a business arrangement. A personal arrangement. Obviously, we weren't in love. No love." Love. It was probably what Beatrice wanted five years ago: To be seen, known, appreciated, cherished and loved. She looked over his shoulder. She saw a woman just behind him. Terrific. An ex?

The woman, blonde, leggy, put her hand on David's shoulder. Obviously an ex, and Beatrice thought she recognised this particular ex!

The blonde said, "David? I thought it was you?" She grinned happily.

David smiled when he recognised the voice and turned around before he pushed his chair away and got to his feet.

"Hayley!" He said pleased. Beatrice nearly screamed. She didn't want this. That is why she rarely came to Auckland. She didn't want to meet his girlfriends. Face-to-face was even more terrible.

David gave the blonde a hug. A long hug! Beatrice, unexpectedly, was ready to scratch out the blonde's eyes!

"What are you doing here?" David asked.

"The usual, like you!" Hayley smiled and looked past his shoulder, at Beatrice. She had never met Beatrice, but she knew about her. "And are you going to introduce me to your wife?"

Beatrice blinked. Well, at least now she knew that David was right, he hadn't kept her a secret, and obvious has told his previous girlfriends about her, enough to recognise her.

Beatrice vacillates about get to her feet or stay sitting. She decided to get to her feet. She extended her hand, to shake the blonde's hand. But what surprised her was the fact that the blonde reached forward to kiss her on her check! Friendly? Really?

While Hayley kissed Beatrice's cheek, David made the introductions.

With that done, David looked around, "Where is Robert?"

Beatrice remained on her feet watching the interaction between David and Hayley.

"I left something in our room and he went back to get it." Hayley said.

Beatrice found it interesting how this part of society lived! Talking opening about their personal lives! Obviously Hayley knew about her, and David knew about Robert!

"And the kids?" David asked.

Beatrice blinked. Hayley had kids? Did she have kids when she went out with David? Beatrice nearly hid her surprise, but her question appeared without thought, "You have kids?"

"Yes." Hayley smiled. "Two. Conor is three, and Michaela is nearly five." She said. Hayley had her own questions. Several questions. Like, was the separation was over? Robert didn't tell her about this? David's separation was over?