Part 63

Five years ago, the thought of settling down with Beatrice brought him out in a cold sweat. Now it felt perfect. The more he thought about her, the more he wanted to have her as his wife. And he wanted to be a proper husband. He blinked back into the present. She's truly a one-of-a-kind-woman. He smiled. This relationship was going all the way. She might not know that! Their relationship is for eternity.

His heart was racing for the right reasons. He hadn't felt like this about any woman. Most women thought they had to pander to him. He put his hands in his pockets, rocked on his heels and smiled. There was something captivating about the way Beatrice took ownership for her actions, and the way she stood up to him! His lips tipped up at the corner. He liked strong women! She was kind, thoughtful and smart. He liked kind, thoughtful and smart women! He grinned happily. No chance of doing any work today, he realised. Thinking about Beatrice.

He thought, given he was a successful businessman, surely, he thought, surely he could sort out his personal business. He nearly laughed. The last few weeks suggested that he couldn't sort his personal business: Despite his plans, she wasn't here.

He knew that five years ago he had made one of the biggest mistakes in his life. And, that mistake was made because he was scared. Him? Scared? He shook his head. But his mind reminded him that falling in love is frightening. Because, as a logical man, in the back of his mind, he knew that falling in love came with no guarantees or certainty, and in his heart, he wanted a woman who loves him. He could love her, but she might not love him back. And five years ago, actually even a few weeks ago, he wasn't ready for that, that unpredictability, no guarantees, no assurances. And the stakes were so high. His heart. Wearing your heart on your sleeve, is hard for a rational businessman.

David couldn't logically explain any of his feelings. No rational. No logic. He didn't know why he felt so strongly today, he just did. But, today, he knew that he was falling in love. And today, he knew that falling in love was not a choice, with the right woman! It just happens. He knew he couldn't just put out a hand to stop his fall. He couldn't stop his river of feelings by putting a dam on the river.

She might not love him back, right now, but it was time to do something about that! He accepted the fact that he had fallen in love with her, and as a logical man, it was time to do something about that!

But first, he had to find a way to encourage her to stay. A bit of emotional blackmail? David shook his head. He was working toward marriage, not divorce. He knew his grandfather had pushed him to join the army and that experience helped him to become a successful businessman. It was time for him to think carefully about his strategy. Details. Specifies. Intricacies. Nothing would be left to chance. The steps. The process. The outcomes.

But for all of that, he needed her to stay. So much hinged on the next few hours.

He couldn't blame her for wanting out. Time to put all his cards on the table. Then what? Said a quiet voice in the back of his head. Friendship? Is that what you want? He could work from that starting point, his head said. He reached his floor and walked fast to his office. He glanced at his watch.

His PA, Elsa, hesitated for a second before asking, "Mr Cardoso, would you like a coffee?" She wasn't sure if he was annoyed or distracted.

"Ok."

Elsa stifled her questions. She was sure, given his answer, that he was distracted. She expected Mr Cardoso's wife to be here, with him. Surely, he would be cross that Mrs Cardoso was not here.

That short journey from his PA's desk to his office was enough to come up with plan Z. David's brain was working overtime. There was more than one way to skin a cat. He couldn't help the grin as he thought about Beatrice reaction. They'd arranged to have a parking spot available for her when she arrived. Which was fortuitous, for now he knew what car she drove. But he hadn't quite got round to ensuring she had a parking disc on display on her dashboard before they headed off for lunch. At the time he knew that even without a disc on display no one was going to clamp her car without his say so. David reached his office, grinning. Promptly, he phoned security and asked them to clamp her car!

Convenienceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें