Part 46

Their eye contact was her undoing. Beatrice shrugged. She flicked a look at him and said with reluctance and honesty, "Actually you did me a favour." Beatrice said softly.

"I did?" David looked bemused as he considered her response because her words caused heat to build again. He studied Beatrice, trying to read between the lines, to see whether he was making more of this than he should. Caught unawares, by her honesty, David gathered his wits. He was not a man given to flights of fancy. But, at the moment, he felt as if his life was about to change. Of course, he had thought about divorce and of course, he had changed his mind when he saw her a few weeks ago. But today, how he felt, was different. Again. Yes, he thought she could make a good wife. That is why he changed his mind about their divorce. He had a wife. Beatrice could make a great wife. And why not just see if they could be great parents to their future children. That is what he thought when he saw her a few weeks ago. But now, right now, how he felt about her wasn't about her suitability as a mother, it was about her: her individuality. Her strength, thoughtfulness, gentle, honesty and fairness. This woman was special. Really special.

Beatrice sighed as she conceded again, "Yes." They shared the same values: Honesty and fairness.

He said thoughtfully, "How do you figure that? I've all but left you to make your own way. That wasn't part of the deal. I was supposed to take care of you. Instead you were left to fend for yourself."

"Exactly." She replied wryly. There had been a few tough times. But in reality she had expanded her business at a rate that suited her finances. She'd had some lucky breaks too, meeting the right people at the right time. So all in all, she had a lot to be grateful for.

Pensively. "Exactly?" He shook his head. "Doesn't it annoy you, or at the very least aren't you angry that your grandfather trusted me to take care of you, and I haven't?"

Beatrice nearly smiled. ""A bit. But in the grand scheme of things: No." Which was the truth.

He broodingly repeated, "Your grandfather trusted me to take care of you."

"I know." She said firmly.

"And you don't care?" David blinked.

Beatrice shrugged. "Yes, I cared."

Again, her honesty. How could he miss this? This woman. Strong, humane, thoughtful, charitable. He had this amazing woman in his life, back then?

"But, my grandfather didn't raise a fool!" Her smile bloomed. Her eyes twinkled.

For in reality the fact David hadn't stepped up to help had spurred her on. She had poured her energy into setting up her business, rather than spend her time thinking about the man who had all but ignored her having married her. That is why she moved. She didn't want spare time, because that meant thinking about their marriage. So she worked. And worked hard. She built her little boutique business. She was very proud of her business. More so because she had done it, on her own two feet, with her own hands and mind, with her own ideas and drive.

He rolled his shoulders. "Obviously." He concurred. "Your grandfather didn't raise a fool." He decided. "The only fool around is me!"

She smiled. David expected her to use that to score points. But she didn't. How could he miss this woman? He thought, as he added a few more adjectives. Fair-mindedness. Level-headed.

Things had changed recently, he thought, as he glanced over at Beatrice. She was different. The women he'd dated over the years hadn't remained in his heart or head. Yet, now, David was coming to realise, pretending he wasn't interested in Beatrice was simply a waste of time. Since they had that meeting, a few weeks ago, she remained in his heart or head, despite the fact they had a disagreement. Several disagreements. Despite their squabbling, there was something going on between them. How do you know when you fall in love? Is he falling in love with her? For someone like him, used to understanding his emotions, this feeling was wonderful, and yet, at the same time he was out of his depth. He had a lot to figure out. Like, for example, why he kept thinking about her, regardless of where he was: His business meetings, social situation, in bed... He hadn't thought about her for over five years. Yet, in the last few weeks, he couldn't stop think about her. That was something that had been puzzling him over the last few weeks. Why now? Yes, he knew he had changed his mind about their divorce. But, David was only just starting to realize that Beatrice was his other half.