Part 67

When were these people were going to recognise that she was furious. She curled her lips inwards as Beatrice bit off a swearword.

But Beatrice thought it was time to change this situation. Banked her fury.

Slowly Beatrice beamed at Elsa. They were equally cagey about this situation. "Now where did I put my phone?" Beatrice mumbled loudly. She just needed to control her temper. "Ah here it is." Beatrice retrieved her smart phone, used her password, and smiled angelically at a now rather nervous Miss Jackson, "Angela Sutter wanted an interview. We met earlier."

Elsa knew the name. Angela Sutter's name made Elsa defensive. Angela Sutter has done stories on Mr Cardoso. Social stories. Fabrications. Elsa queried somewhat reluctantly, "Angela Sutter?" Elsa folded her arms and looked mutinous.

Beatrice made a great show of rolling through her phone's screen, "Yes. Angela Sutter." She took another calming breath. "We met earlier. Just briefly. At the restaurant." She smiled but there was no warmth in the smile, "Seems like a nice woman." Beatrice's eyes sparkled wickedly.

Elsa thought that Mr Cardoso's wife might look placid, but she clearly had claws. Elsa tried to reason with Beatrice. Elsa said, with a slightly apprehensive smile, "I wouldn't recommend that." Elsa hid her sudden panic. Angela Sutter is a well-known malicious schemer! She ruins people's reputations. Using fabrications.

Beatrice took another breath, worked on her breathing, and continued, "Really?" Beatrice feigned concern. She raised a brow, pretending to consider. She shrugged. "Angela came to our table." Beatrice studied Elsa's reaction when Beatrice said, "David was fine about that."

Elsa replied softly. "Mr Cardoso wouldn't endorse that."

Beatrice knew that. But Beatrice carried on, ignoring Miss Jackson's statement. "Angela gave me her number." Beatrice's voice was low and flat. "Very thoughtful." She decided that two could play. "I didn't have the time for a chat right then." Beatrice said with more of a bite, "But I have now. Fortunately." She smiled. "Given I've got half an hour."

Elsa interrupted, sensing that she was being reeled in. "Mrs Cardoso..."

Beatrice equally interrupted happily, "Angela wants to do a story about my hand bag business. I guess!" Beatrice faked a frown, "Unless of course it is more to do with seeing me with my husband at lunch." Her lips twitched. "I guess that might be news. We haven't seen each other," She looked perplexed, "for, what, five years?" Beatrice was getting tired of people treating her like she was stupid. She looked at Elsa, feigned a rueful shrug. At this rate she would be up for an Oscar. "Do you know Angela, very well?"

Elsa nodded. "Yes." She said simply. She knew when she was being challenged. Elsa stated succinctly, "Mr Cardoso doesn't trust her."

"Really? Not that I know much about journalists." Beatrice was going to have to reign in her impatience. She smiled. "But all publicity is good publicity right?" Beatrice said when Miss Jackson hadn't done or said anything to stop Beatrice from making the call. Beatrice decided to up the ante. So with a nod she said, "Would you excuse me?"

Elsa was David's PA because she was smart and astute. Elsa was pretty sure Mr Cardoso's wife was taking this line in order to persuade Elsa to change her stance. So she waited and wondered who would blink first.

Beatrice dialled a number. Her own number. When Beatrice began talking, Elsa wondered if she had seriously underestimated her boss' wife. Beatrice turned around, pretending to shield her privacy with this call and moved toward the window. Elsa wondered if Mr Cardoso knew he had seriously underestimated his wife.

"Miss Sutter. Beatrice Cardoso here." Was Beatrice's opening gambit. It was pretty obvious that Elsa was fretting. Great, thought Beatrice. Beatrice smiled genially. "Yes. Yes. I imagine you weren't!" She made sure the smile was reflected in her voice as she let the smart Miss Jackson believe she was talking to Angela Sutter, "The thing is, if you have half an hour now, I find myself with a bit of time on my hand." Beatrice paused, ran through in her head how long a response from the fictional Miss Sutter might take and then said, "Yes. Yes. I remember. I can certainly do that." She nodded. "Yes. Ok, I'll meet you there in, say five to ten minutes?" Beatrice nodded sagely. "Perfect. See you soon. Bye for now." She disconnected the call.

Beatrice turned and smiled warmly at Elsa. Beatrice won that particular skirmish. Finally, Beatrice felt elated.