Part 105

They both spoke at the same time. "Yes" They both stated and looked over at the waiter.

The waiter's eyebrows rose in question, "If there is an issue, I can pass your comments to the chef." He proposed quickly, " Or get something that you would prefer?"

They both shook their heads.

Baffled. "Are you happy with the meals?" He gestured at their plates. Their choices had good reviews, but the bulk was still on their plate.

"Our fault. Talking!" David stated and looked over at Beatrice.

"Sorry." She said lightly.

"Would you like me to clear the table, or reorder ...?"

She looked across at the waiter with an apology in her eyes. "No need. Thanks." Beatrice smiled at the waiter.

David nodded and looked apologetically at the waiter. "Please." He gestured at their plates.

Beatrice looked straight at the waiter. "And I promise that I will eat my main!" She smiled.

The way Beatrice had smiled at the waiter and David's pulse started to race. David was a logical man. He knew she was pretty. But when she smiled, a real smile, it took her from pretty to beautiful. Those high cheekbones, full lips and sooty lashes that showcased her eyes, accompanied by that smile really pulled the rug from under his feet. Something about his wife had his heartbeat escalating. His mind was scrambling. His pulse should not be racing. A simple smile? A simple, genuine smile? His wishful thinking grew, as he hoped that she would smile at him like that. His wife was really incredible! What a shame he hadn't noticed that five years ago. Again, he began to reconsider his response to her.

"Sir?" The waiter's voice cut through David's trance.

David looked at the waiter. "Sorry." He smiled. "My apologies. Wool-gathering." He said smoothly. But he sounded stilted even if his words were standard.

Beatrice frowned. Now what? She wondered. She smiled but the smile no longer reached her eyes. That was enough to stop David.

David looked at the waiter. He said with a token smile to acknowledge the waiter. "Our meals were fine!" He laughed openly and admitted candidly, "We just forgot!"

The waiter smiled and cleared the table.

David had not forgotten their conversation. He smiled. "Probably better if we finished with our earlier conversation before the waiter brings out our next course."

She nodded at David. "I know, I feel really sorry about not eating. It looked lovely." David smiled "Ok. Let's agree that we will stop talking about Auckland Anniversary Day when we get our food!"

"Okay." She sighed softly.

"And we shouldn't talk about the divorce or the trust!"

She muttered as she settled in her chair, "Fine, ok." She huffed with a wry smile on her lips. "But we will talk about the divorce and the Trust before the end of this evening."

"Agreed." He nodded sagely.

She turned her back on David and tracked the waiter. "But I want the whole story before he returns!"

He laughed. "I was giving you the whole story. In fact I thought that six days notice was sufficient. And given that six days notice, I expected an answer."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you know, either way. Instead, nothing about the invitation, just that stupid letter." He exhaled slowly then he looked as if he had reached a decision, to be upfront, "When I received your letter. I took that as your decision." He couldn't recall ever seeing her this nervous. Best not to rely on guesswork. "I thought that you didn't want to see me, at all!" The one thing he had learnt over the last few weeks was that she appreciated straight, direct, and honest statements.

She looked at him in puzzlement.

"Your letter gave that impression. Direct." Took her letter at face value. "You were so determined. Blunt."

"I told you my address." Beatrice grouched and arched back to look at him.

"You were leaving Auckland, that you had no reason to stay!"

She knew that. That is what she wrote. She had no reason to stay, she was leaving Auckland, and here was her address. A simple letter.

A simple, factual letter. She thought keeping it simple was the best for their situation.

What a shame that she had turned the telephone off on that day. The more she thought about that day it was pretty obvious that Auckland Anniversary day affected their future. One missed message changed her future. One letter gave him the wrong impression.