Part 101

David frowned at her. She told him quietly. "I didn't mean that." In the last five years she hadn't noticed anyone who was in his company long term. She knew that on the social scene he was never short of attractive, stunning, women for company. She kept her tone light, her voice low, "Not that way." She did not make eye contact.

He kept his challenging gaze on her. "So what did you mean?" Something about the way she kept hedging, suggesting there was something she wasn't telling him. He tipped his head to one side as he waited for her to reply.

That ongoing battle between head and heart resurfaced. She lifted her eyes. Her eyes showed concern, and she pulled herself together. He looked suddenly rather alert. There was something she was keeping from him. The minute he looked into her eyes he knew she had become guarded. David leaned forward closing the gap between them. He ignored his cutlery. Left his food. And waited. And waited.

She eventually grumbled. "I don't know." That was the problem. She didn't know. Her heart was hammering. The silent battle between head and heart raged within. She also wondered how he'd react if she continued with this conversation.

This clearing out, all of the baggage carried in the last five years, was important. 

He shook his head, "Yes, you know." David stated firmly and his eyes studied her. There was so much more going on here.

Again another few seconds passed.

She shook her head, "I didn't mean to insult you." Beatrice explained her reason for asking him, "Sorry. I just wanted to know why you took her to these parties." This was just a chat. Two people catching up. Nothing more. Just finish their business, either personal, their divorce or professional, setting up their Trust.

"One party." He corrected. "Just one party." He said dryly. But he was pleased to hear her apology.

"Ok." She sighed. Her eyes met his gaze as she added "One party." She hadn't been expecting him to be honest about what had transpired.  She had gone from thinking about a divorce, seeing a life lived alone, all because she thought he had ignored her for nearly five years, never thought about her at all, but now, it felt as if in the blink of an eye, she had a few issues with her assumptions.

The waiter returned with their drinks. David nodded as the waiter placed the refills beside their current glasses.

"Would you like me to remove that?" The waiter asked.

"No, thanks." Beatrice said automatically.

"We are fine. Thanks." David nodded. 

The waiter nodded and walked away.

David surprised Beatrice. "I phoned you." So much hinged on the next few moments.

She frowned then she said, almost casually, "You phoned me." She gave herself a silent quick warning. This better not be another wind-up.

"Yes. I left you a message on your voicemail." What if he was about to watch his hopes go up in smoke? 

"A message." Beatrice challenged with consternation in her voice. "On my voicemail?" She simply was not going to get lulled into believing this.

"Yes. On your home phone."

"When?" Her imagination was working overtime. Had he really phoned her? Her eyes grew contemplative.

"I know exactly when." He said. She blinked. Now that was unexpected. She looked bemused. He repeated, "I know exactly when."

It had dawned on him that day, that they had rarely spent any time alone in each other's company. He was at home. He was appraising his life, what he had done, what he wanted to do, and where he was. Being alone. He was married, but he was alone. Back then he knew he would have to make a decision about their relationship. Give it a chance or stop.

Time to take a steady route to build their relationship. He opted for the slow and steady approach. He needed a plan. They hadn't spent any real time with each other. Maybe, the best thing to do, arrange something for the weekend, low key. Go to a social event. Maybe persuade her to meet for lunch. And over a few years he would be in love with her. And she might be in love with him. Hopefully.

He could juggle things, between his professional life and personal life. And his professional life had an advantage. He had help at the office. And in any case, his personal life started way back in this race.