Part 70

David tipped his head, admitted with a hidden deprecating smile. "No." He replied flatly without hesitation. He shook his head. "Maybe five years ago!" He told her with a broad smile. "But at the moment, no!" Again he shook his head, feigned nonchalance, "You are not easy to manipulate." His eyes flicked to her lips and then back to her eyes.

Beatrice saw his gleam of anticipation. And she ignored it. Her eyes narrowed but his eyes widened and when he read the emotion in her eyes. 

"And yet," She said dryly she took a moment, before she continued in a calm voice, "you have attempted to manoeuvre me."

David announced with a wry smile, "Hasn't been easy." David confirmed as if they were having nothing but a pleasant chat about rugby! "Intransigent, aren't you!" He laughed softly.

Her gaze went molten. "You find this funny?"

He shook his head. He was tempted to prevaricate, but then went for honesty, "I find this frustrating." He corrected bluntly, caught her eyes and answered truthfully, "It is frustrating!"

Her eyes sparked with heat. "Not half as frustrating as I find this situation." Beatrice was close to bellowing. "I assume your PA and receptionist were following your orders!" She stepped closer, was nearly toe-to-toe. This close he could feel her vibrate with temper. She muttered beneath her breath.

Beatrice wondered about the light that had sparked in his eyes. Her words were issued with heat. "Your orders!" She muttered, "Stupid orders to clamp my car!" She shook her head at him, muttering, "Idiot!"

He ignored that statement. His voice was low and flat. "Yes, they were my instructions." David conceded, he was not known for being subtle.

The man was aggravating! He had the nerve to stand here and calmly admit he was responsible as if playing with people's time was of no consequence. But she felt as if she needed to move this meeting back to its original purpose.

Beatrice reined in her temper and said, "You should give your receptionist and PA a rise. They are clearly worth their weight in gold given they followed your instructions to the letter." She shook her head in disbelief, and her eyes narrowed as Beatrice demanded partly in confusion and partly curious, "Why make this appointment today?" She asked silkily, "Why would you want to waste your time, let alone my time?" She shook her head in reprimand. It had no effect on him. She was a realist. He wasn't easy to manipulate. "At least tell me that much!"

He replied drolly with a broad grin. "We need to talk." David was pleased to see her temper abate. Beatrice tried to gauge whether he was spinning her a line. Another line.

Eventually, Beatrice said flippantly. "I know!" She huffed. "That's why I'm here. Today. You arranged it. Then changed your mind!" She tacked on, "Wasting my time!"

He flashed her a cheeky, charming grin that sent her heart into a tail-spin. She felt her breath hitch. "Sorry about that." He laughed, a sound that had her heart picking up pace. It was strangely heartening and yet at the same time oddly confusing! 

She mumbled. "We had a meeting." It took her a couple of seconds to gather her thoughts. She asked, "So, why rearrange the meeting?" He thought about it, wondered whether to be honest. Beatrice pointed out, "We could have that talk!" Her brow furrowed as her confusion grew. If he wanted to talk to her about the Trust why had he cancelled the meeting? Somewhat subdued she contemplated their situation. Why cancelled that meeting? He wanted to talk. It doesn't make any sense.

David tipped his head to one side and studied Beatrice. He was pleased to see that Beatrice looked less fractious. Not for long! "Not about the Trust." David replied calmly, with a twinkle in his eyes. "About us." He said smoothly and softly.

Her chest rose and fell as she sucked in a breath before she followed through on her thought to drop her bag and smack the man! She snapped, "There. Is. No. Us!" She jabbed her index finger into his jacket clad chest as each word emerged. David watched her carefully and he watched her eyes. 

David said quietly, "That's where you are wrong." And clamped a hand over her hand, holding her palm flat against his chest.

David studied Beatrice more closely. He wondered if what he just saw in her eyes was just a figment of his imagination. David noted her response when she felt his heart beneath her palm. His heart was pounding, fast. His mind went into overdrive. Pulling her mind back from the edge, Beatrice sucked in a breath. But she moved closer.