Part 58

Beatrice stopped dead in her tracks. Her eyes flashed. Beyond molten. Stunning.

Of course, David had some beautiful, gorgeous, attractive women in his life. Women who were smart, shrewd and sharp. Women who were charming, entertaining and witty. But this is the first woman who made him think, properly, about his future as a settled family man. Just with her. What it meant to him, having a settled family? That stable, contented, solid, relaxed, less restless with those extraordinary feelings, where you just become euphoric. He was there!

He had considered divorce just because he needed a woman in his life to have a family, believing that his paper-wife was not that woman. In his plans his intention-family status quo, including an attractive wife, a couple of kids and perhaps a pet. But now, this was different. It wasn't about status. It wasn't about status quo. It was about her. He needed her in his life.

Yes, he had thought about getting a real-wife, not just holding on to a paper-wife. But this wasn't about a real-wife. This was about her. Beatrice: His future with a special woman.

Yes, David believed he needed to be divorced in order to find that special woman. But that special woman had no face, until now. Now, he knew that special woman' face. It was his wife: Beatrice. Realise that, it cut him off at the knees. Robbed him of his logic and sense. It showed that a successful and an influential man could become a fool. And today, he realised he was a fool!

That is when he realised, and shook his head as he thought, just became a fool? Was he in love? He shook his head again. Can't be. He shook his head again. In love?

He smiled in his head. He had always been a fool. Not seeing his wife as the perfect woman for him, all that time ago. Their grandfathers thought that. They knew. They obvious knew more than him. He was a fool. How couldn't he see her? Not just her looks. Of course she was gorgeous. But it was more than that.

In love? He asked again in his head. Today, he realised he had met someone whose life meant more to him than his life, and he'd never had that experience before. Is that love? He wondered silently. Something about her had transformed his worldview and his view of her. He cared about her. Really cared about her. He knew that. Especially when he saw Beatrice's reactions to Angela's actions. His protective side came to the front. That was why he had draped his arm around her waist when Angela cornered her in the restaurant. It wasn't just to portray a relationship between them. It wasn't just to make an impression on that journalist. It wasn't just to parade his latest girlfriend. It was to protect Beatrice.

Time changed everything. The intervening five years had been good to him, in terms of business. His business was going well. His social life was great. But unlike his business, to be in love one had to open up. He concealed his feelings. No one actually knew how he felt. He was aloof. He had modified his behaviour, and yet, Beatrice could handle him. A rebel. Despite the fact that she kept her poise. She challenges him. She dared him. Defied him! Everything felt fascinating, rejuvenating, exciting. Like, he'd never had this compelling urge to have sex, without loosing control. He'd never felt this out of control just standing beside a woman. Colour flooded his cheeks. At his age? He'd never felt this impulsive: to hold Beatrice close. Every other thing just faded into the background. He knew that even a simple conversation was more riveting with her. His thoughts focused on her. His pulse accelerated. His heart quickened. Is that love?

His eyes flicked down to her lips, then flicked back up to her eyes. Still beyond molten. There was something building between them. But, clearly, she wasn't in love with him! It was unsettling. He sighed silently. He wondered how he could lighten her mood.

But he also knew that they needed to talk. A proper conversation. As simple as that.