Part 31

Beatrice had had enough. "You can believe whatever you want."

The man might look good, he might have minted a fortune, and he might be her husband on paper but as far as she was concerned, that was of no interest. She knew, from the social columns in various newspapers, that her husband dated other women. Despite being married to her, he had no qualms in being seen out and about with other women. That was not the type of man she wanted in her life. Not then. Not now.

Beatrice looked him straight in the eyes. "What I needed from you, many years ago, was a simple hug. What I got was a cold shoulder." She nearly added, what I wanted was a man willing to try to be a husband, what I got was an absent husband and a newspaper record of his infidelity. She smiled, ruefully, as she added, "So, yes, Mr Cardoso. You can keep your millions. Give your girlfriends a few extra trinkets. I'm pretty sure they'll have earned them." His eyes showed he was furious. But that did not stop her. "Me, I want a husband who does not think it is acceptable to ignore a piece of paper called a marriage certificate." Beatrice watched that dart land and saw that it had impact. Ok, so just perhaps the man did believe in fidelity. Not that the evidence supported that belief.

David believed that being married meant loyalty, and trust, and faithfulness. But that was when a marriage was for real and not some business transaction.

His marriage was not authentic. He had simply lent her his name in return he had received a financial loan. It had nothing to do with people signing a marriage certificate or believing the marriage was for real. What they had agreed to five years ago was the equivalent of a business contract. Nothing more. It was not a marriage.

She might think she knew him. Asking people about him. But she did not know the important stuff. For despite evidence to the contrary, David knew without a shadow of a doubt that when he gets married for real he would be faithful. He would take his marriage vows seriously. He would keep the oaths he made. But Beatrice did not know that.

Beatrice sighed and said softly, "Just to be clear, I don't need your money." A tiny slither of her fury snuck into her words as she added, "Or you for that matter." She wasn't at all surprised to see his lips narrow and his eyes heat up. "I know how to earn a living and I pay my own way."

For a second there was pin drop silence. They were both breathing hard. As if they had just run a marathon at a sprinting pace. Both fought to reclaim their composure. The silence extended. Seconds ticked by.

David ran a hand through his hair. Eventually he said quietly, "You'd let me take half of this?" He gestured to her surroundings. He had no intention of taking anything from her. He didn't need it. And if anything, he owed her. Clearly he owed her.

"If you're that petty, and want it, then go ahead." She glanced over her shoulder her eyes openly dismissive as she added with sarcasm, "I hope it keeps you warm at night."

"I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to help me on that front." David replied in automatic retaliation.

If she wanted to go down the sanctimonious route that was her choice. He had no intention of pretending he'd been celibate. The last five years had seen a steady stream of women come and go. He was no monk. As far as he was concerned, his marriage was nothing more than business contract. A contract that he was trying to end precisely so that he could get married and have a family. For real. He knew he would be faithful and true.

Beatrice winced on the inside. Photographs of an array of women by his side, mentioned in the social columns flashed through her brain.

"I guess you already have." She shrugged as if she couldn't care less.

It hurt. Knowing that he could walk in and take this away, cut deep. But what hurt even more was the knowledge that he had identified a replacement for her. No doubt he'd found a young leggy blonde who would be only too happy to share in his wealth. They would have a lavish wedding, she was sure. A real honeymoon would follow. Looked like second time around was going to be significantly different for him.

Beatrice was pretty sure that most of his ex-girlfriends had received 'presents' and gifts, whereas all she'd received from this man was his signature on a piece of paper and a wedding band. Without hesitation Beatrice reached for the ring on her finger and gently tugged it off. She studied it for a second.

"Take what you think you are owed." She told him. She reached for his palm and placed her wedding ring in his open palm. "Start with this." Then she tipped her chin up, her eyes went cool as she asked, "Is that all?"

David found himself at a complete loss. He had miscalculated with this woman. He'd expected a carpet. Instead he'd found a wall.