Part 65

David's PA, Elsa Jackson said with feigned casualness, "Mrs Cardoso." Elsa got to her feet. "How lovely to meet you." Elsa pinned on her most alluring smile as she took note of what Beatrice was wearing. Chic. Elegant. Stunning.

Beatrice nearly snapped. She wanted to scream as frustration fought with temper. She did her best not to narrow her eyes instead Beatrice glanced at the nameplate on the desk. "Miss Jackson, could I suggest that you," hesitated for just a fraction of a second and kept her request polite, albeit drenched with sarcasm, "please," she kept her voice quiet, despite her temper and frustration, "organise for my car to be unclamped right now!" Beatrice's eyes flashed with temper and looked straight at Elsa.

Elsa had been prepared for this. She smiled apologetically and gestured toward a waiting area that Beatrice hadn't noticed earlier. Elsa flicked a quick look at her watch. She apologised with a wry smile, "Sorry. I'm afraid I do not have the authority to do that." And again Elsa gestured toward a waiting area.

Elsa wasn't at all surprised to see Beatrice's eyes light with banked irritation and growing fury. Mr Cardoso had told her what to expect with Beatrice and how to deal with her. Matter of fact. Apologetic. Smile. Lots of smiles!

Beatrice dragged in a lungful of air, exhaled slowly, and counted to ten. Fate kept conspiring against her. Elsa smiled, looked apologetic and waited in silence.

Beatrice decided that she was going to have words with Fate! Beatrice remonstrated with clear annoyance in her voice. "Then tell me who does have the authority!" Beatrice was fed up. Beatrice challenged coolly. "And where I might find them." Beatrice stated each word clipped with suppressed ire.

Elsa beamed, as if that was a perfectly reasonable statement and one that she fully intended to address. "Yes of course." Beatrice felt her blood pressure rise. She could see from Miss Jackson's response that in reality Beatrice already knew who had the authority. Elsa smiled and hedged "Mr Cardoso can arrange to have your car unclamped." Interesting, thought, Elsa, as she remembered her boss's orders and the responses from her boss's wife.

Arrogant bastard, Beatrice thought as her temper was nicked into life. Instead, Beatrice snapped. "Perfect!" This man clearly thought that only he knew what to do and when to do it. She was not going to allow herself to be played by David's people. Beatrice, like her husband, was a logical person. "I understand my husband," She deliberately signalled her relationship, for she fully intended to ensure that on this particular occasion being his wife, reaped dividends, "is out of the office. At a meeting?" Beatrice challenged without an ounce of hesitation.

Elsa beamed. She confirmed instantly. "Yes." Elsa hoped she sounded incisive. "He is." She'd never met Mr Cardoso's wife before. Elsa knew he was married, but as far as everyone was concerned he had been separated for nearly five years. Everyone saw him as a single man. Yet, here was his wife. A woman who appeared to be of a similar age to herself, but one who was clearly very comfortable in her own skin.

Elsa took her time to surreptitiously study Mrs Cardoso. From where she stood, Mrs Cardoso was quite simply a rather beautiful woman with a flawless complexion. A hint of make up was sufficient to ensure that most people took a second look at a woman with ink black hair cut into a standard bob. The high cheekbones, tip tilted jet black eyes and currently pouting lips in that heart shaped face ensured there was nothing standard about the face. His wife was also shapely rather than reed thin. Something that seemed to fly in the face of the type of woman her boss usually favoured. Despite having worked for David for more than two years, Elsa found herself suddenly wondering why her boss and his wife lived separate lives? Was he an idiot? His wife was beautiful. And smart.