Part 62

Beatrice was a good twenty metres away when David turned around ready to head back to the office. He released a long pent up sigh, he was tempted to growl and he felt his shoulders drop slightly. His hands in his pockets, he kept thinking about her as he walked to his office. He processed what she'd said. He was so completely out of sorts. He accepted that his visceral response to her, now, five years later, was not expected. A frown still marring his brow he exhaled. Maybe there was more to it than just lust. Suddenly, after a brief hesitation, he grinned. He was an idiot from the outset! His current emotional state was totally unexpected. He chuckled to himself, and shook his head. He was about to sing! Him? A logical man? He fought down his smile, before people stared at him.

A few minutes later, David bumped straight into Angela Sutter when he walked into the lobby. David ignored Angela.

"Your wife isn't very sociable, is she?" She smirked as she followed him. David's eyes narrowed.

Angela had paid her bill at the restaurant, and had looked around when she left the restaurant, to see if she could see where they were. She couldn't see them. She thought, they probably would return to his office building. So that is where she went. Unfortunately for her, they were not there. She loitered in the lobby. But she was on her way back to her car, parked near the restaurant when she saw David walking toward his office. So she waited in the lobby.

David ignored the woman and headed for his office.

Angela kept pace. She smiled happily. She had a scoop. "Are the two of you back together? But your wife isn't here." She tipped her head to one side, "Heading in opposite directions? Not back together?" She trotted to keep up with him. "Seems unlikely, you and her. Heading for an official split? Ready to get that divorce?" She had to all but run to keep up with his long strides. She pushed. "Oh come on, I'll be selling the story with or without your formal input!"

David ignored the annoying woman as he walked briskly toward the elevators. He stalked through the reception area and as he passed the receptionist he said loudly. "Ask security to escort Ms Sutter off the premises."

"Now David, is that anyway to treat someone just doing their job?" Angela called after him, not at all put out by his cavalier behaviour. She stayed put, but through the corner of her eye she noticed the receptionist had indeed dialled, no doubt summoning security.

David stepped into the elevator, pressed the button for his floor and looked straight at Angela as the doors shut. He pushed his hair off his forehead in a gesture that reflected his irritation. Then he wondered if she'd go after Beatrice. Then he smiled. Beatrice would make mince of the woman!

Suddenly he was feeling inordinately pleased with himself. Time to be assertive. He needed to think logically. He had to come up with a plan to impress her. David had never had to work to impress any woman!

He was going to step up the ante. Soon. Assuming she will return.

Clearly he'd wasted far too much time. Today, or the last five years! All those years ago he hadn't really stopped to get to know this woman. Time to think about his next move. Just because she was not going out tonight with him that did not mean that was the end of it.

Obviously, she expected him to contact her lawyer. Nope! He was not going to call her lawyer. If they were going to run a Trust, then he would insist on meetings. Often. Time is what they needed. He could ensure that they bumped into each other on a regular basis. A chance to get close. He knew where she lived. They weren't together right now. Obviously their business would need their attention. But they have weekends. His lips kicked up at the corners. She is the best thing that's ever happened to me, he thought. Just a shame that he only realised it now! It took the short journey in the elevator to lasers his focus. He suddenly said quietly to him, "What the fuck was I doing five years ago?" He laughed, as his head and heart reached the same conclusion. "I know." He muttered to himself, "I want to be with her."