☼Chapter 16

16.

                                  "Okay, okay how 'bout this," Aiden started, "why was Hitler hit by a baseball bat?" 

I rolled my eyes at him, I know he was trying very hard to reduce my anxiety but seriously, corny jokes? I thought they only existed in school, "why?" I answered him nevertheless. 

Aiden was laughing so hard it was hard to get what he was saying, "be-because, ha! Because he did NAZI it coming!" he managed to say. He was laughing with hands on his stomach and the way his eyes disappeared from his face was fun enough to watch that I managed a light laugh and a smile.

"See, I made you laugh!" He said so triumphantly, like a six-year old boy winning a bet against his dad.

"I guess you did," I muttered, 'no thanks to your joke,' I thought because really, I was laughing because of his laugh mostly and not because of his joke.

After Aiden's laugh subsided everything became quiet inside the police officer's office. Aiden and I was glancing at the large transparent window, overlooking the lobby outside the office where the policeman was talking to one of his colleagues.

"Aiden, do you think this will go against our permanent record?" I blurted right out of the blue.

"Erm," he grunted with a scratch to his head, "we're innocent so maybe not," he answered.

Soon after, Sheriff beer belly entered the office, a Manila folder in hand. He looked at us like we were some sort of rebellious teenagers, just finding a way to catch somebody's attention.

"I swear! We're innocent!" I stood up and out of instinct, defending Aiden and me.

"Sit down Miss," the police officer replied with a sigh that could be translated into some sort of bored to annoyed expression.

I sat down anyway, my cheeks burning. Aiden was shaking his head behind his hand, probably embarrassed of me or something.

The police officer sighed once again as he gathered some papers from the Manila folder into his hands, "alright, so tell me honestly why you stole the purse owned by a Mrs. Logan,"

I was about to tell him that we didn't steal the bag and we were just framed but Aiden held his hand up in front of my face before I could utter a grunt, "I believe your question should be, 'How did the purse get into your hands", officer," Aiden replied, saying the word 'officer' with mock respect. 

The policeman snorted and looked at Aiden with his tired looking eyes, "I thought you were the smart one," he said.

"Hey what was that supposed to mean!" I exclaimed, realizing what the officer said. 

Aiden sighed from beside me, "can't we just recall what happened prior to you blaming us?" 

Mr. Policeman must hate his life I presumed because he has this endless sigh that seemed to imply that he was forever bored, "okay then, go on." 

So there goes Aiden, recalling the event in detail as he possibly could. He even made hand gestures to represent how a guy ran at us and how we fell to the ground and how the purse ended up on his lap. 

The policeman kept rolling his eyes. He clearly didn't believe us. Seriously, did we really look like culprits? I'm not bragging or anything but my parents are both a dentist and a lawyer/businessman and I bet Aiden's mom is also a bit or if not incredibly well off since she's having her second wedding at Bora-Bora. 

"We'll know later though if you two are telling the-" 

"We are telling the truth!"  I bursted, cutting the officer off, earning me a hand-massage-to-the-temples reaction from him.