☼Chapter 17

17.  

      I sighed, I'm still not ready to face my parents nor am I ready to deal with their betrayal but I also know that I can't run away from them forever. I cupped my carton of strawberry milk and whistled a low tune as I waited for London who was still paying for gas. (With Sam's credit card)

"You still like him do you?" London's words echoed in my ears, giving me a slight chill that has nothing to do with the cool October night.

I closed my eyes and all I could see was his smiling face and radiant blue eyes, eyes that could drown me everytime I look at them and that hair, oh don't get me started about his hair. Aiden Walker is the most beautiful boy I have ever seen and yet my heart aches for him and for me because I know that even when I learn to accept my slight crush for him, our circumstance still wouldn't allow "us" to happen but yes, I like him. I like him very much and he doesn't need to know that, no one has to know that.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" London asked, waking me from my thoughts and I inaudibly cursed as I spilt milk on my shoes. The liquid felt sticky against my socks and I could just hear the slight squishing sound every time I attempt to put my foot down, eww just eww.

"Nothing, let's just get this over with," I replied with all the bravado I could muster.

 London snickered without looking at me as she stepped on the gas, "hold on tight sister, coz' this is going to get wild," she said as she flipped a pair of Rayban sunglasses on and drove at a presumably illegal speed.

I swallowed hard and prayed to all heavens that I'll get to see my parents after all this.

~
                "They're in Sam's office," London said as she pushed me inside a room adorned with velvet walls and silk curtains. I told her I needed to pull myself together before seeing my parents. I wanted to look brave, unafraid. I wanted to prove to them that I do not need any protecting from my past and now London has brought me into one of the guest bedrooms, to prepare.

"Alright, I'll just call for you when I'm done," I replied and then she slammed the door behind me.

I picked up a fluffy lavender towel from a mahogany cabinet and made my way towards the room's bathroom. As I reached for the brass door knob, I was surprised that the door opened up by itself. Was Sam that rich to be able to provide automatic doors for guest bedrooms?

"Yes, Sam is that rich to be able to provide automatic doors for guest bedrooms but sadly, this isn't an automatic door."

I look up to see a handsome guy maybe my age or a year older. He was devastatingly attractive, even I couldn't deny that. He shoulder length brown hair that was disheveled in a boyish way. I willed myself to look lower and oh my lucky stars he was naturally tan and half naked, with only a clean white towel wrapping around his waist!

He chuckled as he continued to give me his warm smile, "hey miss, are you alright?"

I nodded my head in reply. I was still too shocked to rely with words. I might end up bursting unwanted phrases, which would totally embarrass the hell out of me. Smiling boy shook his head as if to disagree and held my shoulders, turning me around and sitting me on the parlor chair.

He knelt in front of me and stuck out his hand, "hi, I'm Cade," he greeted with a genuine smile, "you must be the problematic sister."

"Asia," I said. I hesitated before adding, "and I'm not problematic."

He chuckled and I swear to God I'm seeing the muscles on his abdomen move. Is the guy even aware that he's half naked?

"Okay, so you're not problematic then," he said. This time he pulled a shirt out of the bedside drawer and pulled it over his head. I tried not to look at him as he did so.

"Actually I'm quite uhm, problematic," I said as I watched Cade make himself comfortable on another chair.

"So do you wanna talk about it then?" He asked, and I could tell he was really concerned with his slightly crunched up brows and understanding tone of voice. He actually reminded me of Ethan, except Cade seemed a bit kinder.

"I don't exactly talk to strangers," I told him and I added an innocent shrug, but damn that boy just smiled wider at me. Doesn't he get a wee bit irritated?

"I told you my name didn't I? And you also saw me with only a towel on so I assumed we're more than just strangers now," he replied. His eyes twinkling beautifully with every word he said.

"Yeah, right," I said with a raised brow, "you knew me as the problematic sister and I just know that your name is Cade, yeah we're totally not strangers."

He chuckled but could tell he's hurt, "quite feisty huh?"

I automatically felt guilty at my demeanor. My parents may have their flaws but they certainly didn't raise me to be such a snob.

"Sorry Cade, I'm just a little bit nervous and scared and angry at the same time. I'm sorry we had to meet this way," I said and at the same time extended a hand towards him, "how about we start over? Hi I'm Asia."

This earned me a brighter smile from him as he took my hand in his, "Cade, the name is Cade Matthews. I'm Sam's cousin," he replied. I don't know why he added that information but I'm pretty sure he did that to at least eradicate the trust barriers. What a good guy.

"You're Sam's cousin? But I thought Sam's last name was Cross?" As soon as the words left my mouth and as soon as Cade started to laugh, I immediately thought. "Damn I'm definitely stupid,"

Cade was about to speak but I held my hand in front of his face and shushed him, "ok I know that was stupid," I said and I looked at Cade who was trying hard to force away his laughter. "So your mum is his dad's sister?"

Cade nodded his head, "yeah," he muttered, "but that's not why we're here now is it?" He asked with another understanding glance, "if you have any second thoughts or whatever it is that's bothering you now, feel free to tell me. I've been told that I'm an extremely good listener." He said as he raised his eyebrow playfully.

I smiled at his words and somehow, I found myself trusting in them. Yeah, Cade looked like your usual playboy and he may seemed one at first but I'm pretty sure he definitely isn't one. Sometimes there are people who may not look the part but they are actually pretty easy to open up to, like having a new diary to write on, except Cade isn't a diary. He is a nice boy with beautiful soft hair and an understanding face, his posture even leaned towards me, a good sign that he was in fact very willing to listen.

So there, I found myself opening up to Cade. I told him how hurt I was when my parents hid my past from me. I also told him about my feelings for Aiden, and about how scared I was about feeling that way for him. As promised, Cade was a very good listener, nodding his head as I told him details, urging me to go on and occasionally offering me a smile as I stumbled on my words.

"So what do you plan to do now?" Cade finally asked. I checked the clock hanging from the distant wall and figured that it took me at most fifteen minutes to spill out everything.

I shrugged at Cade in reply, "what else is there left to do?"

Cade chuckled as he stood from the bed and did a bit of stretching, at least he's all covered up now...from waist up I mean. "You know Asia, no one is really left with one decision, yeah? There are always a thousand of things left for you to do, it's just a matter of choosing what you're willing to do and what's the right thing to do."

I sniffled at him but I couldn't help but smile, "so are you telling me now that you won't judge me if I opt to run away from my parents tonight?"

"I didn't say that," he replied, "but I hope you'll do whatever it is that makes you happy."

I was on the verge of tears, why did he have to say that? To be happy is all I've ever wanted to be. I absentmindedly reached my thumb to the corner of my eye, no tears thank God. I looked up at Cade who was now looking at me empathetically and oh how I wanted to hug him right there.

"Cade?" I said.

"Yeah?" He replied.

"Thank you so much for doing this," I told him.

"It's always a pleasure to cheer someone up," he replied with a smile.