☼Chapter 20

20.

                            I was all smiles the whole week ever since Emerald gave me the memory box. I read Aiden’s notes every day before going to bed and reread the same note I read the morning when I wake up. London, Sam and Cade noticed my more cheerful than usual demeanor and so they came to a conclusion that I must be ‘in love’. I scoffed them off but I didn’t tell them they were wrong at the same time.

People from my school kept complimenting me about my blooming state or glowing face or whatever. Even my ‘usually bitchy to others but kind to me neighbor’, Patrice Sinclair, thought I was glowing.

“ So tell me, who is the new guy?” Patrice asked me while we were in line one lunch time.

“What new guy?” I asked her and my smile was wider than usual. I could just smack myself from not being able to contain it.

“Is he cute? Cuter than Aiden Walker?” Patrice prodded as she swooned while mentioning Aiden’s name.

I willed myself not to roll my eyes as that would give me away. I rolled my eyes anyway.

“Oh my God, like O-M to the G,” Patrice reacted too much as she started fanning her face with her hand.

“I didn’t say anything,” I replied as I hurriedly dashed away from her once I got food on my tray.

“Asia, Asia Cassidy I’m still talking to you!” Patrice said as she stalked after me.

I sat on our usual table and I prayed to all heavens that Claude Augustus Cassidy would sit with me today instead.

Patrice craned her neck trying to look for me and yeah, she locked eyes with me. I thought I was gonna die with embarrassment. I didn’t want to talk to Patrice about this. Patrice isn’t the gossiping type but still I’d rather stay away from girls like her.

Patrice was about to walk towards my table but then a tall figure towered right in front of me and I was eye-level with his abdomen. Dark blue shirt, I looked up, my heart skipped a beat, but the guy I was looking at doesn’t have to know that.

“Hi,” he said, inviting himself to sit on my table.

‘Conceal, conceal, lock away the feelings,’ I thought.

“Hey there,” I replied with a casual smile, hopefully.

I glanced down, away from Aiden’s face as I took my phone and texted Emerald.

“Girl where are you? I’m alone with Aiden Walker, wanna save me?  :((((((- A“

Not a second later I got Emerald’s reply, “I don’t think you need any saving from that, and I can’t be with you today. Stupid Dahlia Pickett signed me up for the upcoming play and we’re having overtime practices. I wanna eat lunch! Come save me!- E”

I looked at Aiden Walker once again."What are you doing here?”

From behind him Patrice gave me a wink and placed her index finger over her lips. I sighed in relief, at least she promised to keep her mouth shut before turning around and heading towards another table where her other bitchy friends sat.

“I just thought you wanted someone to eat lunch with. Do you want me to leave?” He replied in a mocking hurt tone, I’ve grown to adore.

“Whatever, you can stay,” I replied with a shrug, without looking at him as I poked a meatball with my fork before bringing it to my mouth. I watched Aiden silently. He was reading a book-Charles Dickens.

“Did you know that this book is unfinished? They never knew who the murderer was,” Aiden said as he glanced away from his book, catching me off guard. He knew I was watching him.