☼Chapter 26

26.

The scene from earlier continued to play in my mind, even as I was holding a hot cup of spice pumpkin latte while playing "The Game of Life" with London, Sam and Cade. I didn't know what to make out of my actions, which, in my opinion, was lying on the borderline of stupidity and something else.

What's worse was his reaction afterwards, how he took a step backward and touched his fingertip on his bottom lip, "please stop leading me on if that's what you're planning to do," that was what he said. What was I even expecting? Did I want him to pull me towards him and kiss me some more? Why the heck must this thing be so complicated?

I replied with a shrug, tears were threatening to fall from my eyes, "I'm sorry, I really don't know what to do right now," I said as I once again (I know, I'm stupid) attempted to run away. This time however, Aiden stopped me by the wrist.

"I don't know what to do anymore too," he replied in a small voice.

"I hope you believed what I said earlier, about me loving you, because for what it's worth, I know in my heart that it's true."

I tugged away from him, and he didn't stop me this time.

"Lover girl, it's your turn," London snapped her fingers in front of me and I was both annoyed and thankful for her gesture.

"Don't call me that," I mumbled as I took a spin on the wheel. The pointer landed on five so I moved my blue car on the fifth space from my location, unfortunately it was the midlife crisis space. Great, just great.

"You know, something's not right with you today," London pointed out as she tapped a red finger nail on her chin, "did Walker say he was giving up on you?"

Sam shook his head at his girlfriend's comment, "you shouldn't make things worse dear."

London sighed, "fine."

Cade shuffled the deck of Career cards and fanned it right in front of me, "alright, let's just keep playing. How about you pick a new job?"

I sighed. I didn't want to trade in my job as an accountant but I was too tired to carry on with the game, "I don't feel like playing anymore," I muttered.

London clapped her hands in triumph, "good let's just stop playing."

Sam rolled his eyes, "of course you'd want to stop playing, it's clear that you're losing."

London gave him an evil smile, "no Sam, it's just because you are winning."

It was Cade's turn to roll his eyes, "just quit it guys," he said as he took the fanned out cards back in his hands, "maybe it's time for us to go to bed."

I didn't protest on that one as I drank the last of my latte, "I'll go ahead guys, see you in the morning."

I didn't have to turn around to know that all eyes were watching me. It didn't even take a psychic to know that they were all thinking of the same thing about me. It was just the matter of who would talk to me about it first.

"Don't pretend you're asleep," London's voice said.

My back was facing her and I had no intention of turning around. I thought it would be Cade who would talk to me or Sam giving me a drink, but no, it had to be London and her unfixable meanness.

I could hear her walk inside my room as she shut the door a little too loudly, soon I felt her weight on my bed. I still didn't turn around.

"I know you're awake," she spoke but I didn't say anything in reply.

"I know something happened," she continued, "I know I'm mean but you can always talk to me. I'm still your sister and I could use some listening practice especially once this heavy thing in my belly gets to its teenage years."