Chapter 1

I started this story when I was 12 or 13, and I'm trying to fix it up.. Sorry if it sucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Honey, your dad and I are getting a divorce."

That's the horrible news I was told by my mom a week ago. I now am sitting in my room, packing boxes for mine and mom's move.

My mom and dad have been fighting a lot, and I knew it would come down to divorce sooner or later. There fights have been behind closed doors, and they won't tell me what the issue is. I think they were trying to hold it together until I went off to college, but it just became too much. I hate to see my parents split up, but I think they will be happier this way. Dad's staying here in Georgia, and I'm not happy to be so far away from him, but there's nothing I can do. I'll be back to visit him, but it won't be the same not having both my parents around everyday.

I'm Josephine, but most people I know call me Jo. I'm 17 and will be starting a new school for senior year soon. Mom and I are moving from Georgia down to Florida, which is 8 hours away from my dad. I have an older brother named Jesse who's in the military. We're super close, but right now he's in Iraq fighting, and mom wrote him a letter telling him about the divorce. That's the only communication him and I are allowed to have, but it's better than not being able to talk to him at all. Im short for my age, and people let me know it too. I'm around 5'3 with long brown hair and brown eyes.

"Jo! Dinner's ready!" my dad calls, as I'm taping up a box.

He's been sleeping on the couch for about a month now while mom sleeps in their room. I don't think they realize how hard this is for me. I didn't get a choice of who I wanted to live with. They both agreed for me that I should live with mom.

I slowly walk down the stairs into the kitchen.

"Where's mom?" I ask.

"She's saying goodbye to some close friends of hers," Dad says.

"What have you and mom been fighting about so much lately?" I frown.

"Jo, I've told you before, that's between her and I."

"I'm just going to miss you," I frown.

"I'll miss you too, but you can visit anytime you want," he smiles.

"I'll definitely be back."

"This is it!" Mom says as we finish loading up both cars.

My Jeep Cherokee is packed with my stuff. The movers have their truck full, and my mom's red mustang is also full of stuff. Saying goodbye isn't too hard when you don't have many close friends. Living in Georgia wasn't so pleasant for me, and I'm looking forward to the new start, but I just wish my dad could go with us.

Dad pulls me in for one last hug and it's finally time to go. I take one last look at my house, and follow the movers out of the driveway.

6 hours later we all arrive at the new house. It's a 3 bedroom. It's only me and mom, so one room will be Jesse's when he's home.

I help unload stuff until around 10. Mom tells me to shower since I have a big day tomorrow. I'm so dreading going to a new school. I don't know anyone here. I hop in the shower and try to rinse all my problems away, but it doesn't work. I sulk out of the shower and sulk all the way to bed, where it doesn't take me long to fall asleep.