Chapter 2

My alarm screams at me the next morning, and I'm tempted to just turn it off and go back to sleep. I finally decide it's best to get up and make something of myself, so I get up and head to my closet.

I find an unpacked red T-shirt and blue jeans. I find my brush and put my hair in a messy bun. I grab my converse, the only unpacked shoes I can find.

"Here's 5 dollars. Stop and get something to eat on the way to school," mom instructs as I join her in the living room.

"Thanks," I plaster a smile.

"I know you're not looking forward to this, and I'm sorry that we had to move a long ways away. I just couldn't stand to see your dad anymore. We needed to be apart from each other. I'm sorry this whole thing is impacting you the way it is," mom says.

"I understand mom. I guess change could be a good thing. I'll try to be more positive," I smile at her, even thought I'm lying.

"Good," she says, giving me a hug.

I grab my bag and my cellphone and head out to my car. Mom gets in her car also. She's going job hunting today. I follow my GPS to Destin High School. I park near the front of the school and head to the front office.

"I'm here for my schedule," I tell the lady at the front desk, whose's typing away at her phone.

"Name?" She asks, rolling her eyes.

Are all people that work at front desks rude, or do I just have bad luck, because this happens a lot.

"Josephine Manders."

She prints off my schedule and hands it to me, not bothering to look at me. I look down at it and see I have 7 periods total. I walk to my locker, number 167. I take the paper out with the combination and open my locker. I brought gym clothes to school because i thought I'd have gym, and I do. I'm super athletic and I love gym. I don't have it until last period though, so I put my gym clothes in my locker.

I sigh and start walking to my first period, which is English.

"You must be the new student. I got an email about you," the teacher greets me as I walk to his desk.

"Josephine," I say, and he shakes my hand.

"I'm Mr. Montgomery," he introduces with a warm smile.

He looks rather young, with black hair and blue eyes. He is kind of cute!

"How old are you?" I ask.

"27. It's my third year teaching here," he says.

"You look rather young for your age," I say, smiling a little.

"I get that a lot," he smiles.

I smile and take a seat in the front. Mr. Montgomery teaches a lesson over Romeo and Juliet. I read the play a long time ago, so I kind of zone him out. I snap back into reality when he hands us all Literature textbooks and a copy of Romeo and Juliet. I look around to the other kids. They all looked bored, but I'm actually a big fan of reading.

"Why do Romeo and Juliet commit suicide at the end of the play?" A girl asks.

"Juliet used a potion that made her sleep for a few days. Everyone thought she was dead so they planned her a funeral. She planned on meeting with Romeo after she woke up, but the messenger never got the plan through to Romeo. She went to her and he thought she was dead, so he drank poison. Juliet then woke up to find him dead, so she stabbed herself," I tell the girl.

Mr. Montgomery looks at me with an impressed look on his face.

"Oh, that makes sense!" the girl gives me a warm smile.

The bell rings, and I pack my things.

"Mrs. Manders, a word please," Mr. Montgomery says.

I grab my backpack and walk up to his.

"Are you big on reading? I've never had one person who's read this play before coming into my class," he says.

"Yes, I'm a big reader, and I have read this play. I don't want to be late for my next class, so i'll see you tomorrow!" I grin as I head to my next class.

I hate science. It's my least favorite subject, and it's so boring. I don't care about protons and atoms. Managing to keep an A in science is always work for me. I walk into the science classroom and I see the same girl from Literature. I look to see an empty seat next to her and I make my way to her.

"Can I sit here?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure," she grins.

"I'm Josephine," I say as I sit down.

"Paige. You're the new girl, right?" She asks.

I nod.

"I'm surprised you haven't got hit on yet. I've seen a ton of boys staring at you today," she giggles.

I was about to respond with but before I can the teacher walks in. She introduces herself and her name is Mrs. Walker. She's sort of old, with grey hair and glasses. She gives us textbooks and I silently groan.

"If i get textbooks in all my classes I'll never make it home," I whisper.

"I know, right," she says.

"What do you have next period?" I ask her.

"Let me see your schedule," Paige whispers.

I take it out hand it to her.

"We have lunch together and gym," She smiles.

"Thank god I don't have to sit alone at lunch," I say, and I'm starting to feel better about this new school.