{1}

sonora - spendtime palace

"so elle, are you excited for your first day of high school?" my adoptive dad hopper asked me. i nodded.

"very! it'll be so cool going to an actual school for the first time!" i smiled as will, my brother, walked out of his room.

"you won't be this excited to go to school ever again. school sucks." will slung his backpack over one shoulder. "now hurry up, i'm driving you." i sighed unhappily. i was 16, but i wasn't allowed to get my licence until i got good grades in school. 

"your backpack is in your room elle." hop told me. i nodded and ran down the hallway to my room. i grabbed my sparkly pink backpack and looked in the mirror. i had on a black jean skirt, a baby blue tie-dye crop-top, and a pair of white chucks. my short-ish hair was in what i call a 'fountain' ponytail.

"elle!" will yelled, making me jog back to the kitchen. i kissed hop on the cheek goodbye, and told him to hug joyce, my adoptive mom, goodbye too. will pulled me out of the kitchen and into his jeep. i jumped into the passenger seat, while will sat in the driver's seat.

"will?" i asked my brother, who put the keys in the ignition. "can i meet your friends?"

"course sis. you'll love them." he smiled.

"why haven't i met them yet?" i asked, propping my feet up on the dash.

"because they're boys; i don't want any of them to do anything to you. repeat after me. 'i, elle hopper, swear that i will not fall in love with anyone inside my awesome brother's friend group.'" i looked at my brother weirdly and sighed.

"i, elle hopper, swear that i will not fall in love with anyone inside my annoying brother's friend group." i repeated. will nodded and pulled into the parking lot of hawkins high school.

"sucks that you couldn't start the year with us elle." will sighed as he got out of his car. i jumped out of the passenger seat and grabbed my backpack.

"yeah, it does." i agreed, but kept smiling. "but i'm here now!" will slung his arm around my shoulders, guiding me to the front office.

"right you are sis! now, i gotta find my friend dustin, he says he discovered a new slug or some shit, but get your schedule and i'll send one of my friends over to take you on a tour!" will shouted as he jogged backward down the hall, almost hitting a kid. i snickered under my breath and stepped into the office.

"hi, i'm-" i started, only to get cut off by an old lady whose gray hair was in a terrible braid.

"elle hopper! you're the new student, correct?" she asked, and i nodded. "i'm ms. havenford. here's your schedule, locker combo, and library card." she handed over the papers and i took them.

"thank you so much." i smiled, and the old lady smiled back.

"have a good day!" she called after me as i stepped back into a crowded hall. i looked over my schedule. history, science, lunch-

the schedule was ripped from my hands by someone. i looked up, to see a curly-haired boy reading it over.

"excuse me?" i asked, putting my hands on my hips. "why did you take my schedule?" i snapped. the guy looked up, showing me his stunning brown eyes.

"relax. i known will." he looked back down at my schedule. i kept glaring at his messy mop of hair that curled perfectly on the ends, until he finally looked up. "we have 6 out of 9 classes together." he stated, fixing his leather jacket.

"how do i know which ones i even have if you took my schedule away before i could read it?!" i asked him. he just shrugged and motioned for me to follow him. man, this kid was weird.

________________________________________________________________________________

hey guys, it's the author. thank you for reading the first chapter of my book! fyi this book is set in present day without brenner :_)