{3}

bad to the bone - george thorogood & the destroyers

"the what?" i asked, looking up at the tall boy.

"lover's lane cutie. it's a path that runs along the creek. that's where we're going. right now. skip day!" he cheered. i looked at him with dissaproving eyes.

"i haven't even had half my classes yet." i protested, crossing my arms. he shrugged.

"just say you went to the wrong class." he told me. i looked at him before sighing.

"fine." i replied. he smiled at me and grabbed my hand.

"off we go!" he intertwined our fingers and i looked at him. he just smiled his cocky smile and pulled me along as he walked down the path that was carved in the grass. since the path was only big enough for one, i walked behind him, watching his curls flop around with every step. i giggled at them.

i want to run my fingers through them. is that weird? yep. oh well.

mike turned around, walking backwards now. "watcha laughing at, cutie?" he flirted. i smirked and shook my head.

"can't tell you!" i giggled and skipped ahead of him, still facing his cute face. i pulled out a cotton candy lollipop from my backpack and unwrapped it, stuffing the wrapper into the pocket of my shirt. mike raised an eyebrow and stuck out his hand.

"gimme one." he directed me. i shook my head.

"none left." i informed him.

"give me a lick then." he tried reaching for the lollipop in my hand, but i pulled it away.

"ew! no, you're disgusting!" i squealed. mike narrowed his eyes playfully at me. 

fudge i'm dead. this boy has slain me.

"shoot!" i yelled and booked it down the dirt path. my skirt was wiping around my legs, so i had to hold it down with one hand. i felt two hands wrap around my waist, making me squeal.

"got yah. gimme the lollipop." he instructed me. i shook my head and threw it into the grass.

"if i can't have it, no one i can." i replied. mike ignored my comment and let me go, motioning to the creek next to us.

"we're here." he said, plopping down on a nice patch of grass. i slowly sat next to him, not wanting my skirt to get dirty. i looked around.

"it's pretty." i commented, and he nodded, turning and facing me.

"hey, i have a question for you." he informed me. i nodded and looked into his dark eyes.

"do you...find me attractive?" he asked, biting his lip. i choked on air and sat upright, coughing.

no this couldn't be happening. no. no! i couldn't lie, friends don't lie. but will would kill him, ruining his face. the truth was the best way.

i looked down at my hands. "course i'm attracted to you pretty boy, you're really cute. but i could never date you. i made a promise to my brother, and it's something i can't break." i explained. mike looked away and stood up.

"we better get you back to cl-" he tried, but i cut him off.

"do you find me attractive?" i asked him. he gulped, his adam's apple bobbing.

"more than you know cutie. let's get you back before will has an aneurysm." i nodded and started back to school.

~~~

i walked through the back door that mike had propped open with a cone. i slipped inside, mike on my heels. it was the end of the day, so kids were flooding the halls. will was sitting at the lunch table, frantically texting someone. i lowered my head and tried to sneak past-

"eleanor jane hopper!" will yelled, marching over. "where have you been?" he demanded, glaring at me. i held my hands up, about to surrender.

"mike's idea." i told him, then i sprinted the fudge outta there, not wanting to hear the rage of my annoying brother. from what i heard, will was now yelling at mike, who was laughing. his laugh was calming yet flirtatious.

weird combo. who knew it would be so attractive- remember the rule!

i sighed and went to my locker, getting all of my books and putting them away. i looked at myself in the little mirror i had hung in my locker.

wow, i look really bad. sweaty. ew.

i slammed my locker closed and walked out the front doors of the school, sitting down on the concrete steps. i pulled out my book and began reading. i was consumed in my book, until a hand on my shoulder pulled me out of my thoughts.

"hey cutie." mike smiled, tossing some of his curls behind his head. i smiled back at him.

"hey." i replied. "did yah make it out without injury?" mike snorted.

"i love will, he's my best friend, but he cannot - for the life of him - punch." i started laughing hard at the cute boy's comment. my hand clutched my stomach, the other on my mouth.

"what's so funny?" someone asked from behind me. i was laughing too hard to turn around. 

"how weak you are." mike told the person, and i realized it was will.

"hey!" will protested, making me laugh even harder, i leaned forward, about to fall. two arms caught me by my waist and made me sit up straight.

"don't fall." he instructed me. i stopped laughing and nodded.

"kay." i picked my book back up and put it in my bag. 

"shit, i have mathletes today, i completely forgot! mike can you please drive her home? shit mom's gonna kill me! mike please!" he begged. mike nodded.

"yeah, i'll take her home." he smiled and wrapped an arm around my shoulders playfully. "we're besties willy will. besties." he told will, which made will role his eyes.

"elle, i know it'll be hard, but don't fall for him." he said sarcastically. 

whoops.

"kay will. love you, have fun being a nerd!" i called after my brother, who started walking away. he kept walking, and i noticed mike still hasn't moved his arm from my shoulders. i ignored it as mike led me to his blue pickup truck that looked old. i smiled as he opened the passenger seat for me. i hopped into the high seat and buckled my seatbelt. mike jumped into the driver's seat and pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road.