{19}

mine - bazzi

mike parked his truck outside the parking lot. i looked over at mike, who raised his eyebrow.

"yes? do you need something?" he smirked. i shook my head as everyone in the back got out.

"just want to say you're the cutest human i've met." i gigged. he rolled his eyes and got out of the truck. i was about to open the cab door, but mike beat me to it. "awe, thank you." i smiled.

"no problem baby girl." he kissed my cheek and grabbed my hand. the group of us approached the gym doors. dustin, jay, max, and lucas went into the gym while i held mike behind with me. 

"i just want to say thank you for being my boyfriend and sticking with me through some poop." i told him. he laughed and kissed my lips quickly.

"i could say the same for you. now let's go to your first school dance ever." he pulled me into the gym. i stopped in the doorway to gaze at the gym. it was filled with teenagers and flashing lights illuminating the streams strung above everyone's heads.

"wow..." i whispered to myself, looking at every little detail. i caught mike's eyes on me. he was staring at me, a faint smile across his slightly chapped lips.

"let's dance." he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the dance floor as a slower song was beginning to play.

"mike, i don't know how to dance." i confessed. my boyfriend turned back to me.

"neither do i. do you...want to figure it out?" he asked. i blushed and nodded my head, moving onto the dance floor with him. "i think you put your arms around my neck..." he told me. i slowly put my arms around his neck, joining my hands together under his hairline. "and i put my hands on your waist..." mike placed his hands on my hips.

"your bad boy image is being ruined by dancing with me wheeler." i smirked, swaying to the music.

"i'll sacrifice it any day for a dance with you baby girl." he replied. i smiled and leaned my head on his chest.

"i think i love you mike." i said in a quiet voice.

"i know i love you elle." he whispered in my ear. i giggled as i felt his chapped lips meet my forehead. 

"promise?" i asked.

"promise." he replied, pushing me away from his chest and doing a little spin. i laughed and did the same. he pulled me back into his chest by my hips, pecking my lips.

"now can we find our friends? the song ended." i pouted. mike rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand, pulling me to where all our friends were sitting around a circular table. will and eddie were there, which made me angry. 

i've disowned him! why is he sitting with us?!

i glanced at mike, who was glaring at will. "why the fuck are you here man?! you fucked up!" he exclaimed. i squeezed mike's hand gently.

"calm down, be rational." i instructed. mike closed his eyes, then opened them slowly.

"you hurt my girl. that's not right." he spoke calmly. i moved closer to his side, for reassurance.

"i-i..." my brother started, glancing at eddie. "i'm sorry, to both of you. what i did was shitty and uncalled for. elle, i need to realize that you aren't some innocent little girl anymore that needs my protecting, and mike i need to realize that you can now protect my little sis when she needs it." will told us. i began to tear up.

"will, i love you." i cried, giving him a big hug. he patted my back awkwardly. i let go and kissed his cheek. "and i forgive you, idiot." i gave him a dimpled smile and turned to the rest of my friends. "let's dance!" i cheered.

"hell yeah!" dustin cheered, jumping up and down. jay raised her eyebrow at him and walked off.

"bitch..." i muttered, seeing dustin's face fall. "hey dusty, dance with me!" i grabbed his wrist and pulled him onto the dance floor, all our friends following.

~~~

the crowd was beginning to thin as everyone started filtering out the double doors. mike tapped me on the shoulder, making me stop singing the lyrics of the song.

"hey love. i need a smoke, wanna come?" he asked. i nodded and intertwined our fingers so i wouldn't get separated from mike as he pulled me through the crowd of teenagers. we ended up behind the school sitting on the steps. mike put the cancer stick between his lips and lit it, sending smoke into the air. i leaned back, gazing at the stars.

"the stars are pretty..." i murmured, trying to find the big dipper.

"yeah, just like you." mike replied, running his fingers through his mop of curls. i blushed, fixing my dress.

"do you want a smoke?" mike asked. i shook my head in response and tied my sneaker.

"what's your favorite color?" i blurted out. mike smirked.

"twenty questions aye? it's green. yours?" 

"pink, obviously. favorite movie?"

"this is dorky, but star wars."

"you like star wars?! wow, i would of never pegged you for that kind of person." i laughed.

"you judging me elle hopper?!" he poked me in the ribs. i laughed harder.

"no! that's a lie, i totally am!" i teased. mike snuffed out his cigarette on the concrete and kissed my lips, holding my jaw. i gasped, not expecting his reaction. we kissed for a little longer, until mike pulled away.

"let's go say goodbye, i gotta get you home so hopper doesn't decapitate me." mike smiled, kissing my forehead. i nodded in agreement, standing up and walking inside to say goodbye.

~~~

mike was in my driveway as the clocked changed.

11:56

"we have three minutes." i announced. mike grabbed something out of his jacket pocket and handed it to me. it was a black box.

"something i picked up. go on, open it before the suspense kills me." he teased. i rolled my eyes, opening the tiny box. inside was a necklace with small heart that had 'e+m' carved into it. my eyes began to water.

"mike," i whispered, looking at his nervous eyes.

"do you like it?" he murmured, fidgeting with his hands.

"mike, i love it." i cried, flinging my arms around his neck. he chuckled and kissed my ear.

"and i love you. now go, you don't want to be late." he told me. i pulled away and jumped out of the car, sprinting to the house. i did one last wave and walked inside.