{13}

the kids aren't alright - fall out boy

jaws 2 finally ended, and i looked at the two boys that were on the couch next to me. both were asleep. mike was on the far side of the couch, his lanky limbs sprawled out on the old couch.

goodness, he's adorable even when he's asleep. look at his curls!

 will was curled up in a ball, his hair flopping in his face.

he's a great brother, even though he's over protective.

 i slowly got up and tiptoed to my room, careful not to wake up the two boys in the other room. i crawled into bed and closed my eyes, dozing off.

~~~

"k-k-kali, where are you going?" i asked my sister, tugging on her white sleeve. she looked down at me and then glanced out the tiny window.

"i'm leaving jane. i have to, this place... this place isn't the real world. it's like here, it's upside down." he told me. my eyes teared up.

"but kali, i wanna leave too!" i cried. my older sister shushed me as she took me into her arms.

"shush jane. when the time comes, i know you can escape too." she gave me one last kiss on the head and climbed out the window. "i'll see you soon jane. stay strong." she whispered as she left. i began crying harder, falling to the ground.

"elle! elle! come on it's just a dream!" someone whisper-shouted at me. i kept my eyes closed.

"kali..." i whimpered. 

my eyes fluttered open, seeing a worried mike sitting next to me.

"mike..." i whispered, wiping the tears off my cheeks.

"it's okay, you don't need to tell me. just relax, it was a dream." he told me, rubbing my back in a circular motion. lighting struck outside, making me jump. "hey it's okay. just lighting." mike consoled me. i nodded.

"o-o-okay..." i whispered. mike kissed my forehead gently.

"can you go back to sleep for me?" he asked. i nodded and laid down pulling my covers up to my chin. mike walked over to the door.

i can't sleep without someone here. not after that dream.

"mike? can you stay?" i mumbled. mike came back over to my bed and laid next to me.

"not," he yawned, taking my spare pillow. "sexual. i'm keeping you company." he assured me. i turned my back to him.

"night mike." i yawned.

"night elle." mike replied, and i felt the bed move as he got comfortable.

~~~

the alarm on my phone woke me up, and i reached over to my side table to turn it off. memories of last night flooded my brain, making me blush. i looked over to my side where mike was missing.

had to leave before will found him.

i swung my legs out of bed and sat up, scratching my bun quickly before trudging over to my bathroom to get ready for the day.

i did my daily routine which consisted of doing normal things like brushing my teeth and hair, washing my face, and checking my instagram. i finally tore away from my screen and got into a pair of pink ripped jeans, a tight blue shirt, and my favorite pair of white converse high tops. i checked myself out in the mirror.

i look good.

i skipped to the kitchen, seeing mike and will putting eggos in the toaster while arguing.

"what do you mean jaws 2 is better?! the original is always the best!" mike told my brother, who was shaking his head.

"jaws 2 is so much better man! it has a better plot, better actors-" he replied, only to be cut off by me.

"jaws is better." i smirked and grabbed an eggo as it popped up.

"thank you elle. see, your sister agrees with me!" mike smiled triumphantly. i laughed and took a bite of the eggo before spitting it out.

"gosh, that's hot!" i exclaimed, running to the sink to drink the cold water. i could hear mike's beautiful laugh from behind me. i turned around and spit a little water at him. he glared at me playfully.

"i hate you elle." he frowned. i blinked a few times, before grabbing my backpack and phone and walking out the door. i dialed a familiar number and put my phone to my head.

"hello?" max answered. i sighed in relief.

"hey max, it's me. i really need a ride, can you pick me up?" i asked my redheaded friend.

"sure, but why?" max replied.

"mike slept over last nig-" i was cut off by a scream and someone shouting 'what the hell max!'

lucas probably.

"he did?! oh my lord, did yah do the hanky panky?" she squealed, making me blush.

"no no! i'll tell you later." i promised. inside the house, i heard a bunch of yelling.

probably fighting over some silly movie again.

lucas' range rover pulled up, and i jumped into the back seat.

"hey, thanks for the ride." i smiled at the couple, who were holding hands in the front seat.

"no problem, as long as you spill." max laughed, making me roll my eyes.

"i detest you maxine mayfield." i told her as i opened the text mike just sent me.

prettyboy: sorry for making you sad.

prettyboy: i'll meet you in the janitors closet outside room 134 at 9:35

ellehop: you are forgiven and i will

prettyboy: see you soon

i put my phone down as lucas pulled up to our school. all three of us jumped out of the suv and walked into school, max and lucas still holding hands. i told them i'd meet up with them at lunch and walked to my locker to get ready for the day. there was a note inside my locker, next to a tiny picture of mike that wasn't mine. it looked like it had been ripped.

stay away from mike. he's mine.
- xoxo, mike's original baby 

i stared at the picture in utter disbelief.

who knew my password to my locker? who knows that mike and i are dating, much less that he calls me baby girl?

i gulped and put the note inside my phone case for later inspection. the bell dinged, making me and the rest of the school scurry off to class.