Tommy Shelby - 'Together'

(Before the war and Tommy being in the gang)

You had been away for a few years. The thought of coming back to small heath was making more and more anxious as the car journey went on. So many memories had been left there and you were not sure whether you wanted to face them at this moment in time - finding it much easier to hide away. You missed your life there, the busyness of people; working life and the rush of children running around the place.

Your brother had sent you away for 3 years due to him being in the upper class tear; he looked down to you as you hung around the "slum" of the town on a regular basis - he considered it unjust and damaging to my own; yet more his image. A snob. A chauvinistic snob was the words you could describe your brother yet you knew in some ways, he meant well.

"It is good to have you back" Your brother smiled as you entered the room; looking rather elegant in your attire.

"The journey was exhausting" You breathe out and your fiancé walks in behind you; shaking your brothers hand. "We are so jaded. Aren't we darling?"

You mocked yourself in your mind at the words you used when speaking to your family. As you sipped on your cup of tea as you sat down on the chair; your fiancé went to deal with some business in the office, across from the house.

Mocking yourself for you words was the least of your worries. You could have kicked yourself for many other things - such as about to marry a man because of your brother insistent request. Phillip was a great man, a very romantics one and was so incredibly caring to you - the only problem with him, was that you did not love him. In fact your heart still lay in somebody else's.

Your brother drank a glass of Brandy as he looked out the window. Being left with your sister, sister in law and brother; the conversation was boring and non existent - making you feel completely ambivalent about it all.

"Sir, the horses have been cleaned and checked over" You heard a familiar voice speak as they entered the room.

You looked up slowly and nearly dropped the tea out of your hands as you looked to see the face of a man you once knew and loved - the feelings rushing back to you like a smack in the face. Compunction was something that ate you away as you looked into Tommy's eyes; wanting to run into his arms once more and confess everything; you knew he would appreciate your candor but you were unsure whether he would want to listen at all in the first place - after all you left him.

"Good" Your brother replied; always being so harsh to Tommy with anything he said or did - you hated it.

Tommy looks down to you and gives you a wink as he walks out; making you go all giddy and the feelings rush back to you instantly.

"Excuse me" You say to your brother; placing down your cup of tea and leaving the room to follow Tommy.

As you walk around the house, you try to find out where Tommy went too. You turned your head around each corner, but you still could not find him. Walking down the corridors, you feel a hand grab your arm and pull you into one of the cleaning cupboards on the top floor.

"Tommy" You breathe out as you look at him.

"I have heard that you are to be married" He speaks to you; his voice so husky and deep - much like you remembered.

"Please Tommy, let that not be the first thing we talk about" You beg him, his hands leaning against the wall behind you; him hovering over you.

"We have to talk about it Y/N" He groans and you move your head to the side. "Are you going to go through with it?"

You look back to him, unsure what to say. Instead of speaking, you remain silent and you think it hurt the man more than if you answered him.

"Right then" He mutters and goes to walk out but you pull him back.

"Don't walk away from me Tommy" You demand and he stands still; not moving. "My brother wants me too Tommy, I am doing it for him-"

"When are you going to start doing things for yourself?" He snaps and you glare at him; yet you knew he was being truthful - you just denied it.

"I do, I do things for myself Tommy" You argue back to him.

"You left. Because of your brother. You left me. Because of your brother. You are getting married. Because of your brother." He snaps. "You know there is a weird fucking pattern going on there Y/N and if you can't see that, then you are delusional."

"I do that to keep him happy" You stop him from insulting you even more.

"Why would you need to do that?" He yells loudly, his voice going straight through you.

"Because I know what he does to you" You scream back and the both of you go silent for a moment - the tension so thick.

"I know what he does to you" you whisper again, in a hushed tone; turning him around and pressing your hands lightly on his back. "I know Tommy."

"How?" He questions and turns around again to face you.

"Because, one night you were so out with it and I came into the barn, to find you being beaten by my own brother." You choke up. "I tried to pull him off you but he just got angry with me."

"Shit" He mutters and you look to him; biting down on your lip to stop yourself from bursting into tears.

"So I do these things, because I know full well that my brother knows my love for you." You begin and Tommy listens intently. "And I want to keep you safe Tommy."

With no other words spoken, Tommy swoops in and presses his lips to yours. Sparks flew off from you both as you continued to kiss passionately; completely forgetting about everything and enjoying the moment - ready to face the battle ahead, together.