Couldn't sleep

Detty Bold and Beauty Chapter 15: Couldn't sleep, an ugly betty fanfic | FanFiction

Detty fans here is a new chapter. Thank you so much for reviewing and reading. Keep it up. Thank you.

Chapter 14:

"Couldn't sleep."

"Come on, Betty," Becks urged, trying to force himself on her.

"No! Get off or I will-"

"What," Becks cut her off, "you think Daniel is going to come and save you? In your dreams, Betty! Daniel only ever saves his ass. Now shut up and let's get it on."

Becks smiled wickedly as he ripped her blouse. Betty screamed.

"NO!!"

"Betty, are you alright?"

The sound of Daniel's voice cut into her nightmare. Betty bolted awake, rubbing her eyes tiredly before she put on her glasses.

"Oh, sorry, didn't get much sleep after last night."

"Me either," Daniel agreed, "Nightmares, huh?"

"What?" Betty said.

"Betty, I could hear the screams from my office," Daniel said.

Betty shook her head slightly, as though trying to get rid of the images playing in her head moments earlier.

"Yeah," she admitted, "bad nightmare, a nightmare I hope Amanda doesn't have to go through. Speaking of which, how is she?"

"Amanda's doing okay. I just got a call from the doctors; she said she needs to stay a couple of days for observation, but she should be fine," Daniel replied.

"Good, what about Becks?"

"Arrested; back in prison after he broke parole," Daniel told her.

Betty nodded thoughtfully.

"Good, I might go see Amanda later."

"Sounds like a good idea," Daniel paused slightly, "Listen, Betty, can we talk more privately in my office?" He asked.

"Yes, of course," Betty replied as she followed him into his office.

Shutting the door behind them, Daniel moved to stand in front of his desk. He was fidgeting, playing with his tie, and not sure how to ask Betty a question that had been bugging him since the previous night.

"So, what is it you want to talk about?" Betty said eventually, when Daniel had shown no sign of speaking.

"I wanted to ask you about what you said last night," Daniel started nervously.

Betty frowned, not too sure what Daniel was referring to.

"What I said last night?" She said uncertainly.

"When we were in the car, you said that if you had listened to Amanda, she wouldn't have gone off with Becks. What did you mean by that?" Daniel asked.

Betty sighed as she sat on Daniel's futon.

"It is difficult to explain, Daniel."

Daniel sat down beside Betty.

"Try me," he said sincerely.

"Ok, well, Amanda tried to persuade me to quit," Betty started.

When Daniel heard that, he remembered telling Amanda about trying to get rid of Betty. He wanted to say to her about it, but fear froze the words in his mouth. What would Betty think of him? Instead, Daniel kept his mouth shut.

"Really? Why?" He said, deciding to play dumb.

"I don't blame her for feeling threatened by me," Betty continued, "She told me that she used to be your assistant; that she was beautiful on the inside but not so good on the outside. She said that the two of you fell in love; you tried to change her, and when she did, you broke her heart and fired her as your assistant."

"I see," Daniel said quietly.

Betty looked at Daniel carefully.

"Is it true, Daniel? Was Amanda telling me the truth?"

Daniel sighed as he got up from the futon and went back to his desk. Betty waited patiently until he was ready to speak.

"Well, she is half right and half wrong," Daniel said eventually, turning to face Betty.

"Ok, so what is the real story?" Betty asked.

"The real story is that Amanda was the same old Amanda when she was my assistant. And yes, we were somewhat involved but not in love. And yes, I fired her, but I fired her because my father told me to when he found out that we were involved. I begged him to at least give her a job somewhere in the company because she wasn't a bad assistant. My dad agreed on the condition that I promised to stay away from her." Daniel finished.

"And this is the truth, Daniel," Betty half said, half asked.

"Yes, it is. Betty, you deserve to know the truth about me. I am a playboy. I have a woman in bed almost every night."

"Daniel, I don't think I need to hear-"

"Yes, you do need to hear this," Daniel insisted, cutting her off, "I need to get this off my chest." He took in a deep breath.

"You see, Betty, I treated women like dirt. I guess you could say that I'm a slightly less lecherous version of Becks. But Betty, since you came into my life as my assistant, you made me see that women such as yourself should be respected and loved by men. Not treated like garbage. I want you to see that I am trying to be a better man."

Daniel moved back towards Betty and reached gently for her hand.

"So thank you, Betty," He said quietly, staring into her warm, brown eyes.

"Daniel, I-"

The sound of a phone ringing interrupted the moment. Betty let go of Daniel's hand, ever the practical, responsible assistant, and quickly went to answer the phone.

"Daniel Meade's office; this is his assistant."

"Oh, yes, sir. He is here, one moment, please," Daniel overheard Betty said.

The next minute, Betty was handing him the receiver.

"Who is it?" Daniel asked.

"Your father," Betty replied.

Daniel swallowed audibly as he took the phone from Betty.

"Hello... I see... yes, I will be right there," Daniel hung up and looked over at Betty.

"He wants to have lunch and talk," Daniel told her.

"But that's good! That's good, right?" Betty said encouragingly.

Daniel looked apprehensive.

"I don't know, Betty. I just don't know."