Change of heart

Detty Bold and Beauty Chapter 28: Change of Heart, an ugly betty fanfic | FanFiction

Chapter 27

"Change of Heart"

Daniel watched through the glass window of his office as all the press and reporters entered the conference room, ready for the press launch of the new issue of MODE. He nervously went over his speech for about the thousandth time, stuttering slightly when he was interrupted by a knock on the door. It was his father.

"Are you ready, son?" Bradford said, moving to straighten his son's suit jacket and tie, "not nervous, I hope."

"No," Daniel shook his head, "I'm good. Is everyone here?"

"Almost everyone," Bradford nodded, "We should be starting soon."

The older man paused slightly, studying his son.

"Daniel, I read your magazine proposal."

Daniel swallowed audibly.

"You did," he said hesitantly, "what did you think?"

"I think," Bradford said slowly, "that it's a great idea. And I would be more than honored to help you get it off the ground."

Daniel smiled.

"Thank you, Dad."

"But on one condition," Bradford said gravely.

Daniel knew that was coming. He sighed slightly.

"And what's that?"

"Hire Betty as your co-editor in chief of the magazine," Bradford told Daniel.

Daniel frowned in confusion.

"What? Why?" He said incredulous, "You made me fire her, and now, you're threatening me if I don't hire her."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I was wrong, Daniel," Bradford admitted, "I didn't realize how much you've changed or how much you love Betty. I should never have interfered, and I hope you can forgive me," He said solemnly.

Daniel smiled at his father. He could tell he was sorry.

"You are forgiven, Dad."

Daniel's expression clouded slightly.

"I'm not sure that Betty can forgive me, though," He said softly, remembering the anger and hurt he'd seen in her eyes when they'd had that horrible fight.

"Give her some time, Daniel," Bradford said reassuringly, "You never know, she might have a change of heart."

"I hope so, I just wish she was here," Daniel said wistfully.

Bradford patted his son on the back.

"I know," Bradford said, trying to hide his smile, "Maybe if you just wished a little bit harder, it might come true," He said cryptically.

Daniel smiled.

"Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome. I'll see you out there then."

"Ok," Daniel said, watching his father leave.

Alone in his office now, Daniel took a deep breath and closed his eyes, wishing for Betty to come there and forgive him and let him have another chance. What Daniel didn't know was that his wish had already come true. Betty was stepping out of the elevators on the MODE floor, making her way to the large, round reception desk where Amanda was busy directing press into the conference room.

"Hey, Betty!" Amanda said, catching sight of her friend. She moved to hug Betty.

"What are you doing here? I thought you'd quit."

"I did, but Bradford Meade asked to see me, so here I am. Do you know where he is?" Betty asked.

"Speak of the devil," Amanda muttered under her breath as the man in question came striding smartly towards them.

"Betty," Bradford said warmly, "I'm happy you decided to come. If you follow me, we can speak for a moment."

"Certainly, sir," Betty said politely.

Betty waved goodbye to Amanda and followed Bradford to a secluded corridor.

"Thank you for coming, Betty," He said once more, "I take it you got my letter."

"Yes, I did," Betty nodded, "You offered me a job, sir."

"And have you given any thought to whether you'd like to accept it?" Bradford continued.

"Well, I'd like to know a little bit more about it first, sir."

"Well," Bradford started, "Daniel-"

"I'm sorry," Betty interrupted, immediately tense, "if this job involves working with Daniel, I can't take it," Betty said, polite but firm.

"Even if it's a position as co-editor in chief?" Bradford asked.

"What?" Betty said, surprised. "You want me to be co-editor in chief of Daniel's new magazine? I'm sorry, sir, but I don't think so."

Betty started to leave, but Bradford stopped her.

"Betty, listen to me," He implored, "It's my fault Daniel fired you, not his. He wanted you to stay, but I forced his hand. I threatened him with jeopardizing your future if he didn't."

"Why, would you do that?" Betty said, her voice softening.

"Because I thought you would be like all the other assistants and cause an uproar for the company. I didn't realize at the time how much my son truly cares for you. Betty, I'm sorry. I was wrong. But please don't punish Daniel for my misjudgment. He needs you. You are the best thing that could have ever happened to him. So please, Betty, the job... at least think about it."

Bradford left then, leaving Betty alone with her thoughts.

It was a lot to take in—the job, Bradford's mistake, and working with Daniel again. Daniel, Betty thought. She'd been wrong about him. Daniel had fired her because he loved her; he'd been trying to protect her, to give her a better future even if that meant he would lose her. It was sweet, and it was caring, it was......

Betty smiled to herself and realized that she'd fallen in love with Daniel Meade all over again.