Something to talk about

Detty Bold and Beauty Chapter 23: something to talk about, an ugly betty fanfic | FanFiction

Chapter 22

"Something to talk about."

Daniel arrived back at MODE shortly after dropping Betty at the hospital. He knew he was supposed to see his father, but he needed time to think about what had happened between him and Betty. That time was short-lived when the phone rang. Daniel looked across his office at Betty's desk. He smiled slightly as he pictured all the times' Betty has usually sat right there; a smile on her face as she answered cheerfully, "Daniel Meade's office." But she wasn't there today, so Daniel picked up himself.

"Daniel Meade's office, Daniel speaking."

"Daniel, I see you've arrived back."

Daniel groaned inwardly as he recognized his father's voice.

"Yes, Dad, I just got back."

"Good, then I expect I'll see you in my office," Bradford said.

Daniel sighed.

"Now?" He said incredulously, "I mean, I've just driven for 5 hours."

"I know, but I need to see you now. It's essential."

"Fine," Daniel said resignedly, "I'm on my way."

Daniel hung up and made his way to see his father.

dbdbdbdbdbdbdbd

Betty stood in the doorway to Amanda's hospital room. She was lying on the bed, listening to her iPod when Betty knocked on the door. Amanda looked up and gestured for Betty to come in.

"Betty, nice to see you," Amanda said, turning her iPod off, "Come in."

"Thanks," Betty took the seat by Amanda's bedside, setting her luggage down also.

"How are you feeling? I thought you'd be released already."

"I'm fine," Amanda replied, "but I thought I'd stay longer because well, let us just say that my doctor is a real hunk if you know what I mean?"

"No, I don't," Betty said, confused.

Amanda rolled her eyes.

"Never mind then. But I'm getting released today; Marc will be picking me up later."

"Good," Betty said distractedly, her mind wandering to thoughts of Daniel.

"So how are you, or should I ask where you've been? You've been MIA since, uh...you know," Amanda said sheepishly.

"Yeah, uh, I have been busy with a few things," Betty explained awkwardly.

Amanda smirked slightly.

"Let me guess - Daniel, things."

"Yeah," Betty admitted, shaking her head in agreement.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Amanda asked.

"No, not really," Betty said, shaking her head no.

"I see," Amanda said gravely, "I understand, you don't trust me, not after..." She trailed off, "I understand," She repeated, "you don't have to tell me anything, Betty."

"Amanda, I do trust you," Betty said earnestly.

Amanda shot Betty. You've got to be kidding me look.

"Ok," Betty conceded, "so maybe I don't entirely trust you. But you did try to get me to quit."

"Yes, I did," Amanda admitted, "And I was a fool for doing it ok, but I was still hung up on Daniel. And he asked me to, and I couldn't very well say no to him, and..." Amanda blurted, her words coming out in a rush.