More to life

Detty Bold and Beauty Chapter 29: More to Life, an ugly betty fanfic | FanFiction

Chapter 28

"More to life."

Betty was looking for Daniel in the conference room. She needed to talk to him, to apologize for misjudging him, but the room was thick with the press, and there was no way she'd be able to reach him. Instead, Betty went back to the reception desk, quickly grabbing a pen and paper to write a short note to Daniel. She spotted Amanda loitering nearby again and caught her eye, motioning for her to come over.

"Betty, you're still here," Amanda said, reaching her, "have you changed your mind about quitting?"

"Sort of," Betty said distractedly, "but listen; I know that the press conference is about to start, but I need you to do me a favor."

"What is it?" Amanda asked.

Betty handed her the note.

"Give this to Daniel, please. Amanda, can you do that?"

Amanda smiled.

"Consider it done," She said, sashaying away and determined to give the note to Daniel.

"Thank you!" Betty yelled after her.

Amanda was not afraid to push and shove her way through the press to get to Daniel, sitting alongside his table on the small stage. Having made her way through the crowd, Amanda stood to the side, a few feet or so away from Daniel, and tried calling to him. He didn't hear her the first time, so she wolf-whistled at him instead. He turned to see Amanda waving at him frantically, wanting him to come over to her. Daniel sighed slightly, but he went to her.

"Amanda, the conference is just about to start," He protested.

"I know, but I have an important message for you," She explained.

"Can it wait?" Daniel said.

"No, it can't," Amanda insisted, "Just take it and read it ok."

"Fine," Daniel grabbed the note from her, "I will read it, but it better be important," He said irritably.

"Oh, it is," Amanda smiled slyly and sneaked off back to Betty.

Making his way back to his seat, Daniel opened the note. His eyes widened in shock.

Dear Daniel,

I know what you did, I was wrong before. Let me make it up to you. I'll meet you in your office after the conference.

Love,

Betty

Daniel couldn't begin to describe how getting that note made him feel. It was the best note he'd ever gotten, and he was so caught up in what it said, he didn't notice his father trying to get his attention.

"Daniel?"

"Hmm, yes, Dad?"

"Are you ok?"

"I 'm fine," Daniel smiled, "Look," He handed Bradford Betty's note.

The older man stole a glance and smiled.

"Good for you, son," Bradford handed back the note, "but now we need for this conference to start."

Daniel nodded.

Taking a deep breath, he stood up at the podium, stuffing the note in his trouser pocket as several camera flashes went off. Betty stood quietly at the back of the room, watching him intently as he started reciting his speech.

"I'd like to start by thanking you all for coming to this, the launch of our latest issue, introducing the new and fresh side of MODE."

Daniel swallowed slightly.

"I know that there was a lot of skepticism when I replaced my sister, Alexis, as editor-in-chief of MODE. Most of the press here will acknowledge me as the "Bachelor"; the "Playboy" who sleeps with his assistants. And two or three months ago, you wouldn't have been wrong. I'll be the first to admit, that was who I was. But not anymore. Working at this magazine, I've learned a lot about taking responsibility for myself, as well as for others. I've also learned that there is more to life than wearing high fashion or being skinny."

Daniel took a deep breath.

"That is why, I, Daniel Meade, have decided to step down as editor-in-chief of MODE magazine."

An unintelligible murmur of surprise rippled through the conference room. The press had had the wind knocked out of them, utterly shocked by the news of Daniel's resignation from MODE.

Betty felt incredibly proud of Daniel, tears coming to her eyes at the thought of the man he was becoming.

"My sister Alexis Meade," Daniel continued, "will be returning to her position in charge of MODE, when she comes back in the next few weeks. And I will be co-creating and co-editor-in-chief of a new magazine called 'Bold and Beauty.'"

At this news, the press now recovered from their earlier shock were firing questions all at once about the new magazine and the identity of the other co-editor-in-chief.

"At this present time, I am not at liberty to give you any further information about the new publication or my partner on the project. I suggest you wait until the magazine hits the stands. For now, I'll leave it to my father to answer any questions you might have, thank you again," Daniel finished.

Daniel quickly left the podium, hoping to make a break for it and leave the conference room. But it was useless; the press surrounded him like vultures around a carcass.

"Hey!" A female voice suddenly called; it was Amanda. At some point, she'd pushed her way through the crowd to stand next to him.

"I know who the co-editor-in-chief is, I just saw her. Follow me!"

Daniel turned to Amanda, shocked.

But she simply gave him a reassuring wink and whispered,

"Don't worry, and I've got your back. Now go get her tiger, she's waiting for you."

Daniel quickly whispered thanks back and shot her a grateful look as she danced away, in front of the crowd.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Amanda called to the excited reporters, "follow me!"

As Amanda took the press on a wild goose chase, Daniel made his way to his office, hoping to get back together with the woman he loves, Betty Suarez.