01. First Day

— • —

— • —

Midtown was buzzing, what with people pretending to care about what one another did throughout the summer, or gloating about their vacation homes in exotic places. Freshman year had quickly come to a close, and sophomore year welcomed them with open arms.

To Luna, starting sophomore year just meant one year closer to junior year, also known as the most important year of her life. So she set a goal for herself to sign up for as much as possible during the year so she'll maintain a routine by the time junior year was upon her. The pressure to get a scholarship was still ever so present, and with her barely passing biology on her own the previous year, she knew maintaining her grades won't be easy.

Liz Barns rolled her eyes at the sight of the two girls greeting each other with wide smiles, leaning against the lockers. "It amazes me how we go to a school full of geniuses, yet they can't tell the real from the fake." She pointed to the girls, leaning closer to Luna. "Like her? Unfollowed everyone for her 'revival', when everyone knows she just wanted to have a nice looking ratio."

"What, seriously?" Mia joined them, her eyes wide with innocence. "Oh, I'm so unfollowing her now. I thought she was doing a Taylor Swift or something." She turned to Luna with a wide smile. "Speaking of revival, how's the road to making the drama club cool again?"

Luna shot her friend a look, slamming her locker shut. "I'll have you know, the drama club has always been cool." Both girls stared at her blankly, making her sigh in defeat. While Luna had a great appreciation for fellow drama geeks, in a school full of science students, not many others did. Mia had insisted it was because of the previous drama club president, seeing as Doug wasn't all that interested in branching into other social circles, and Luna did. "Fine. I'm working on it, I've been promoting the play like crazy."

"Right, Little Shop of Horrors," Liz nodded, remembering all the summer afternoons she spent in their stuffy auditorium while Luna spent extra hours preparing. "Opening night is soon, is Peter coming?"

Luna's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, "Yeah, why wouldn't he?"

"You're like, the only person that ever sees him outside of school," Mia stated, a "duh" tone to her voice. "Not even Ned sees him that much, and they're best friends."

Luna bit the inside of her cheek, knowing they were probably right. While she did get to see Peter outside of school, they were usually brief meetings, just so Luna could be sure he made it through the night alive.

Once summer began, Peter spent more time in his suit, trying to keep New York as safe as he possibly could. When she said yes to being his girlfriend on that day in June, it seemed to slip from her mind that she'd be dating both Peter and Spider-Man. Meaning every night she was forced to not think about the fact that he could be in danger, and just hope that she'd still have her boyfriend the next day.