37. Self-Destruct

— • —

— • —

Luna was lying face down on Peter's bed, her head pushed as far as she possibly could into a pillow. Despite her position, she could still smell the dinner May was cooking, acting as a reminder of what was about to take place. She always knew her family and May would have to meet, especially with how serious their relationship had gotten as of recently, yet she still didn't expect it so suddenly. Somehow, she'd hoped they'd just magically meet one day without her present, and nothing formal needed to happen, but that's just not how it was going to happen.

Peter glanced over at his girlfriend, rolling his eyes at the sight of her gripping the edges of his pillow, pushing it further into her face. "Luna, it won't be that bad."

"Can I look now?" Her words came out muffled against the pillow.

"No, I'm still changing."

Luna let out what Peter could only imagine was a huff of breath, before turning to face the wall. "I'm just nervous, Peter," she mumbled, her fingers picking at the bedsheets.

Peter, busy looking through his dresser, asked, "What is there to be nervous about, it's just your Mom? It's not like Di and Drew are here to talk about your old elementary school plays."

"First of all, don't ever mention my elementary school plays again," Luna warned, waving her arm back in what she intended to be a threatening manner, but resembled more of a flail than anything. "Second, you calling my siblings by their nicknames makes me want to throw up rainbows."

Peter paused. "Good thing?"

"Good thing," Luna confirmed, causing a smile to tug at Peter's lips as he continued his search for a nice shirt. "And third, there's a lot to be nervous about! My mom, though she doesn't show it that much in front of you, is totally embarrassing too. I just want her and May to get along."

"They will."

Luna rolled over, brows pulled together. "You don't know that." Momentarily forgetting why exactly she'd been told to turn away, Luna was left gaping at the bare back of her boyfriend, at a loss for words for the first time in the last thirty minutes. Peter, obviously confused by her sudden silence, glanced over his shoulder to her. His cheeks flushed at the sight of Luna's parted lips, her eyes bulging out as heat crawled up her neck. Peter cleared his throat, causing Luna's eyes to snap up to meet his own. "Were you working out recently, or was I just a shitty girlfriend who never appreciated your huuuuuge muscles?"

Peter swallowed the lump in his throat, glancing down at himself as heat consumed him. "I...I've gotten bigger, recently."

"Clearly." A grin suddenly spread across Luna's face. "C'mon, do a spin for me, princess."

Peter, despite feeling flustered over Luna's gushing, still managed to glare at her, throwing the t-shirt held in his hand at her. A laugh escaped Luna as she fell back on Peter's bed, his t-shirt now in her hand. Glancing Peter's way, she made sure his back was turned to her before raising her arm to throw this shirt his way. As expected, he caught the shirt before it could hit him, a hint of a smirk on his lips. Luna rolled her eyes at the act, but decided against making a comment about it, and instead took the time to finally admire Peter.