11. Unnecessary Apologies

— • —

— • —

      Luna slumped against the lockers, her knees pulled to her chest as she watched her two friends talk quietly a few feet away. She was typically seen as a good kid, the type of daughter who never did anything for the parent to have to worry about, but that was not the case the previous night. Victoria was shocked to have to open the door to a sheepish looking Andrew, his sister fast asleep in his arms after being called by Mia to pick the two up. Luna was lucky she escaped the wrath of her mother that night and the following morning, but she knew to expect the worst when she got home that day.

      Andrew wasn't any happier, giving Luna just a taste of what to expect from her mother. Sure, he woke her up with breakfast and pills ready for her hangover, but that came with a side of scolding, opposed to the orange juice she would have preferred. Apparently, she'd revealed her reasoning for her drunkness to him while giggling in the backseat of his car, bringing on a conversation she was not ready to have with any member of her family. "Just because your boyfriend and I are on nickname terms, doesn't mean I'll be okay with what he's doing to you." Though it was sweet in a way, Luna couldn't respond, mostly because he didn't even know what her boyfriend was doing to her. Or, more appropriately, what he wasn't doing.

      Luna squinted as a figure appeared in front of her. Her lips instantly tugged into a frown as Danielle towered over her. "Hangover?" Luna blinked, unsure of how to respond to the girl. Not that it mattered, seeing as Danielle didn't have any intentions of actually having a conversation with the girl. "Sucks to have your heart broken, doesn't it?"

      She went to walk away, but Luna was quick to reach forward and grab onto the sleeve of the girl's sweater. Danielle quickly whirled around, eyes narrowed at the disheveled girl sitting on the floor. "I'm sorry... about your dad," She offered quietly, watching as the girl's expression faded until she was left with a blank face. It was obvious that of all things she was expecting Luna to say, it wasn't that. Sure, her father did some terrible things, but Luna couldn't help but feel bad as she saw it from Danielle's perspective. It was obvious she preferred her father over her mother, and to have him torn away from her so suddenly, it couldn't have been easy.

      Danielle seemed to snap out of her thoughts as she pulled herself out of Luna's grip, fire in her eyes once again. "That means nothing coming from you," She quipped, rolling her eyes as she turned away from the girl and walked away. Luna watched her figure with a frown, unsure of why she felt hurt by her words.

      She wasn't given the time to dwell on it as a noise sounded beside her, her two friends slumping against the lockers beside her. The hallways were empty now, everybody disappearing into the lunchroom as they did everyday, leaving the three in silence.

Liz rose an eyebrow at the girl, pointing in the direction Danielle had disappeared to. "What did she want?"

      "To bother me," Luna muttered, choosing not to mention her spontaneous apology. "So, you guys are done talking about me, what's the verdict?"